Does everyone agree....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kami

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does everyone agree that the DAT has become really hard this year? Would the average scores drop this year as compared to the previous years. I know that this is not the right time to ask this question since a lot of people have not taken the DAT yet but I am really concerned. Does anyone else feel the same way? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does everyone agree that the DAT has become really hard this year? Would the average scores drop this year as compared to the previous years. I know that this is not the right time to ask this question since a lot of people have not taken the DAT yet but I am really concerned. Does anyone else feel the same way? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

SHC?

:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
So let's say the DAT got harder, so how does this affect you on the fact that you have to take it? If it got harder then it is harder for everybody who will be taking it. IF it got easier then it got easier for everyone. What are you concerned about? Relative performance will be justified when the adcom sees the score pool.

You should be concerned about how are you going to study for it rather than how harder the exam has gotten.

I am still going to take the DAT but it just bothers me a little when they ask you questions on the test in which you have no clue and you say to yourself I do not remember reading that on the ADA syllabus and the way people are talking about these bio and math sections being so unpredictable and the reading section really does not compare to any of the practice tests like Kaplan, Topscore, Achiever or any other test so I am not sure what is going to help in addition to hard work. Even if you work your hardest and push yourself to the highest limit the DAT is still going to be difficult. At least I will not regret and that I can say that did push myself to the highest limit.

I would agree with Lonely Sol who was saying in his earlier post that in reading comprehension you are really on your own. I also heard from other people that took the DAT recently that this year its way harder than any of those practice tests. There are a lot of people who have not taken it so its really not possible to predict accurately whether the DAT has really become harder but at present its looking like its become really hard.

seriously can we stop making threads stating on how the DAT is getting harder.....just study harder....we already have a billion of these threads and i think its based mostly on opinions

just do your best and dont give in to the hype. Everyone has to take the same test. You are not going to be the only one. so relax and focus on the test and not on how much harder or not it has gotten.

the dat has gotten really hard. like super hard. hard like a rock. like a ford pickup in a winter storm in a tv commercial. its an earth shaking exam, and when you take it you will feel the foundations of the earth shaking, which will in turn cause tsunamis to appear.

does that make you feel any better about the exam?

b/c there are other posts that indicate this. if you plan on becoming a dentist, plan on becoming more acquainted with factual data. quit worrying about the difficulty. it doesn't change the fact that you want to become a dentist does it? study HARD for an exam that most people assume is going to be difficult and take it.

see this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=391238

Some do disagree. In case you missed it, you may want to check out the post DAT Harder/Easier: DEBUNKING A MYTH! If you need more posts that disagree do a search or ask.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=391238

Some people may think it's harder, some people think it doesn't. Well, whatever it is...I just think it's the same thing and asking questions like this is irrelevant. You just have to study at your Maximum and use all the materials possible.
ADA definitely changes their DAT exam questions maybe atleast every year. I heard that DAT exams have different kind of sets. (correct me if I'm wrong). Some people can get a hard set which may be easy for you or the other way around. It depends on your weakness, if you have a weakness. My friend and I took DAT the same day. He got an easy bio questions while I got out of the world bio questions. Some rumor says that there's this DAT exam with Astronomy RC on it and if you get that one DAT is hard. If these kind of information leaks probably it also reached ADA already. So, I'm thinking maybe its harder because everything are different set of questions but actually similar to the old sets.
I also think when schools evaluate your DAT they know when you took it, this year or last year.... so if you took it this year....I guess they would take consideration about the difference of the difficulty.
Anyway, I think we should pose questions like "What was 'hard' in your DAT exam that makes you think its harder, and if you were given a chance to rewind time what would you study or focus more on?"

I also think when schools evaluate your DAT they know when you took it, this year or last year.... so if you took it this year....I guess they would take consideration about the difference of the difficulty.

Give me a break. That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I highly doubt that adcoms are going to look at a score of 18 and say "Don't worry, the DAT has gotten harder this year so we're going to lower our standards to accommodate you." If you score an 18, you are average. Don't blame your mediocrity on the difficulty of the test. People are still going to score in the 20's and people are still going to get 16's. That's the whole purpose of the test! To differentiate between applicants!

The DAT is a standardized test, people. Believe it or not, there are people who dedicate their lives to making these tests. Doc toothache made a thread already that supports the notion that the DAT has not gotten harder. Stop whining and sack up.

Edit: Sorry if this sounds harsh, but the bottom line is this: The people who put forth the most effort will get high marks regardless of how hard the test has gotten.

I am not trying to scare anyone but just explaining the reality that the DAT is harder this year and I agree that one must study harder in accordance but what I was just trying to point out is that now the trend is towards a harder DAT and thats all and yes we must study as hard as we can.