Does Everyone Match GPR/AEGD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FatherOrangeJuice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all... Does anyone go through the entire match process for AEGD/GPR programs only to not land a match or post match somewhere? Basically, is the worst case scenario having to take a year off and reapply? Or does everyone who needs a position during post match get one?

Members don't see this ad.

No, not everyone matches / post-matches. However, there are plenty of post match positions open, but not necessarily in a location you want to go to. You also have to act quick on Match Day - most places will want to fill post-match spots within 2-3 weeks.

If you don't get into a program, you go work somewhere usually. You don't need a residency to get a dental license in most states! In general though, if you want a spot, you'll be able to find one somewhere, you just have to keep your mind open, and be willing to jet to interviews on a few days notice. The best way to avoid this however, is to apply to enough positions prior to the match - just applying to 3-5 can be a bad idea, especially if they are all competitive programs.

Reactions: 1 user
No, not everyone matches / post-matches. However, there are plenty of post match positions open, but not necessarily in a location you want to go to. You also have to act quick on Match Day - most places will want to fill post-match spots within 2-3 weeks.

If you don't get into a program, you go work somewhere usually. You don't need a residency to get a dental license in most states! In general though, if you want a spot, you'll be able to find one somewhere, you just have to keep your mind open, and be willing to jet to interviews on a few days notice. The best way to avoid this however, is to apply to enough positions prior to the match - just applying to 3-5 can be a bad idea, especially if they are all competitive programs.

when is a good time to apply for one of these?

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to get your applications ready to go right when the cycle opens, as it can often take some time to get the letters of rec and other reviews from your faculty. I think the cycle opens in June this year? Crazy - time flies, I just picked my residents for next year, and I'm going to start getting applications again in a few months!

Are you referring to those who apply to specialty programs? I've never known anyone who was applying to GPR/AEGD programs and didn't get into a program. That's why I made this post, because it seemed unheard of to not get a position in either a GPR or AEGD.

There are always less spots than people who apply. That said, If you do your due diligence, don't lag when post match starts, and don't have something completely damning on your application, it shouldn't be a problem to find a program as long as you are flexible on where it is.

At 12 noon on match day an entire list of applicants who did not match to AEGD's and GPR's is published by the MATCH and is available to the program directors. The list is long. That is the answer.
A list of programs with open positions is also published and is available to the applicants. Those who sat out the MATCH in order to save some application money, or procrastinated about doing a residency, now join in to the pool of non matched PASS applicants, increasing the pool for a small number of open positions.

At 12 noon on match day an entire list of applicants who did not match to AEGD's and GPR's is published by the MATCH and is available to the program directors. The list is long. That is the answer.
A list of programs with open positions is also published and is available to the applicants. Those who sat out the MATCH in order to save some application money, or procrastinated about doing a residency, now join in to the pool of non matched PASS applicants, increasing the pool for a small number of open positions.
In reply, then what do you think the reason is for slots that remain unfilled even after the post match? If people need a residency that bad then theoretically shouldn't there be 0 spots left anywhere after post match?

In reply, then what do you think the reason is for slots that remain unfilled even after the post match? If people need a residency that bad then theoretically shouldn't there be 0 spots left anywhere after post match?

Some people aren't able to get over their prejudices against some areas where they wouldn't want to move to, and so don't even apply. They then start working instead.

They will not be open on 7/1. Not every program with open slots will accept just any candidate. They sometimes wait for the right applicant to come along. Patience often works in favor of the program. There are other reasons as well, which are to complex to go into on this venue.

You want to get your applications ready to go right when the cycle opens, as it can often take some time to get the letters of rec and other reviews from your faculty. I think the cycle opens in June this year? Crazy - time flies, I just picked my residents for next year, and I'm going to start getting applications again in a few months!

Thanks for your reply. But just out of curiosity, what years would that June be in between? D3 and D4? Also, is that generally the time that students apply for other specialty residencies as well? Sorry, incoming D1 here. There's a lot I don't know lol

Thanks for your reply. But just out of curiosity, what years would that June be in between? D3 and D4? Also, is that generally the time that students apply for other specialty residencies as well? Sorry, incoming D1 here. There's a lot I don't know lol
Don't worry about it right now. Focus on school first! Plenty of time to figure out this stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
IMG_0173.JPG

Source:

Yeah that slide is all wrong. There were not over 50,000 applicants to post-grad programs. That's almost 10x the amount of students graduate dental school every year.
That's how many applications there were, and people apply to multiple programs. This doesn't include other programs that didn't participate in the Match, like perio and prosth.

Reactions: 3 users
We always get a ton of international dentist applications, usually as many as all of the domestic candidates put together - but I still don't think that adds up to 50,000. They must mean applications in total, not applicants

Adding up the amount of international dentists who apply, new grads, and dentists who have already graduated some time before but reenter the pool to do a specialty may indeed add up to these numbers. Many people do multiple applications, as many new grads apply to both GPR/Pedo and GPR/ Ortho. There is also a large GPR/OMFS contingent. PASS and MATCH are big business.