Does FA really have everything you need??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcat322

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out how to best integrate using FA with other review books. So far I feel that I'm coming across a lot of info in other review books that's not in FA and if I annotate all of that into FA it'll take me forever and a day. Is it a smart strategy to just go by FA and look up whatever is covered there in other review books for clarification, while ignoring stuff that's not in FA?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out how to best integrate using FA with other review books. So far I feel that I'm coming across a lot of info in other review books that's not in FA and if I annotate all of that into FA it'll take me forever and a day. Is it a smart strategy to just go by FA and look up whatever is covered there in other review books for clarification, while ignoring stuff that's not in FA?

First Aid does give a list of USMLE step I topics(and a note or two) but was never designed as an exaustive source for USMLE Step I review. You can also check out this site http://www.usmle.org/step1/intro.htm for topics covered on USMLE Step I as FA largely goes by this list.

Most of the people in my class reviewed for Step I by using a question source and review books as back-up. First Aid was largely a guide to topics.

all of the upperclassmen i spoke with said that about 60-70% of the test is in FA.....

the rest u can cover from UW or Qbank or USMLERx...

Im using FA, also taking kaplan classes, have UW and will buy USMLRx soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but...
its a great repository for information, and a great place for you to add notes. Annotate as needed, fill in the gaps, and focus on FA + your notes the last couple of weeks

Yes, everything you need is in First Aid. However, not everything is well explained in First Aid. FA might list something but fail to clarify what it is which is why people read review books. It's a big myth that First Aid is not enough. The truth is most people haven't really mastered FA. They say they do but there is a difference between someone who knows it cold and someone who has just read it 3 times. If you do questions, you will see that FA can answer 90% of most question banks. This is why I stress doing questions versus reading text.

It's no longer sexy advice but the overwhelming people who do well on step I do the classic First Aid and Q-bank and it works well. Granted, these people aren't breaking 250 but they are probably getting between 225-245.

Hey guys,

Im taking my exam in 6 weeks. Im just starting the review process. I plan on using FA as my main guide supplementing gaps with Goljan Path/audio and Kaplan books. I aim to go thru one full cycle of kaplan Qbank. I have gone thru a FA one time so far and i feel that it has everything you need to know if you know the book cold...hence my plan to rely heavily on it. Any suggestions as far as how many blocks of qbank to do per day. I am averaging only 50% cumulative right now-i hope that it rises up. Also, i am planning to take NBME asap to see how much i need to improve on core disciplines. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.