Does graduating early really improve chances to get in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunsplash313

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been hearing so many conflicting points of view about whether or not graduating early is a good idea for getting into med school. I intend to graduate a semester early (with a BS), and during the time off I'll get a job in a hospital and get my clinical experience up. Though- I heard med schools hardly take students fresh out of college as it is, especially ones that graduate early. Is this true? Thanks!
 
I really can't think of why graduating early would help you get into med school. Considering that a good friend of mine got turned down in large part because she was too young (20) the first time she applied, It seems like an early graduation might even hurt you.

I heard med schools hardly take students fresh out of college
Not true. I'd say the majority of people are fresh out of school, if not the vast majority. Look how many people on these forums are applying the summer after their junior years.
 
I doubt it helps our hinders you that much. It could only help if you get more clinical experience but if you already have a ton of it, I don't know why it would boast you that much.

It really depends on what you do with that year. Some people teach and that goes over really well with the adcoms. Just taking a year off doesn't intrinsically help you out...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd say the majority of people are fresh out of school, if not the vast majority. Look how many people on these forums are applying the summer after their junior years.

Yea, I think traditional folks are still the majority of applicants (hmm what about matriculants?) But the number of nontraditional folks matriculating is growing. The average age of matriculant is 23 I believe.

It really depends on what you do with that year. Some people teach and that goes over really well with the adcoms. Just taking a year off doesn't intrinsically help you out...

Quoted for emphasis. As long as you make it worthwhile.
 
Graduating early won't help, and experience you get during the application process doesn't help much either. If you apply after that semester of activity, you may have more success.

However, if only for the financial benefits, graduating early can be a very good idea.
 
There's a big difference between graduating early and applying young.


graduating early has no effect, can only help you (doing a major/s in less than 4 years shows a full load)


Applying at a younger age could hurt you.

I think most people automatically think people who graduate early are applying their sophmore year as opposed to their junior year like most trad students.

I think if you can, graduating early and dedicating your 4th year to research/clinical would make you a much stronger applicant, especially if you do something awsome.

I have a friend who graduated early (one semester) and is MS2 at Hopkins, he used that one semester of free time to do tons of research. Although too late to be considered for medical school, he's got two coauthor pubs because of his work in the lab...I think it was a very wise investment.
 
Yea, I think traditional folks are still the majority of applicants (hmm what about matriculants?) But the number of nontraditional folks matriculating is growing. The average age of matriculant is 23 I believe.
I think you're probably right. The average age of my class is 23.3. It seems like a growing number of non-trads and a surprising number of people taking a year off before matriculating contribute to that.
 
I heard med schools hardly take students fresh out of college as it is, especially ones that graduate early. Is this true? Thanks!

I applied successfully after my second year in college and graduated in three years. I did not feel I was at a disadvantage (or advantaged) in the admissions process because of my age. I think the key to success in such a situation to have the same quality and quantity of ECs as those who had an extra year. This can be stressful, but saving a year of tuition made it worthwhile.
 
Graduating a single semester early will not make any appreciable difference. You will be applying right along with same group that you would if you were to take the entire 4 years, and will have completed 3 years in college at the time you submit your application.

Graduating in 3 years or less can make getting an acceptance more difficult, at certain schools in particular. It doesn't automatically make a person look brighter and more gifted because almost anyone can complete a degree in that amount of time if they schedule right and focus on taking only the classes necessary to complete their degree.

The least important reason is that there will always be some people who correlate age with maturity, even if it is subconscious. The other reasons are that some will question why a student felt the need to push through in less time. Be prepared to present good reasons that don't come across as having been pressured by family, being a one-sided academic nerd with a superiority complex, or being in a hurry to rush through your education to be a doctor. Those aren't selling points.

The overall greatest reason that it can get in the way is that applicant has one full year less experience in extra-curricular activities than most of the applicant pack, if they are applying after their second year in college. Their application would most likely have been stronger if they were to spend another year of being involved with the community.

In your case, I don't see any disadvantage. You'll be using that extra semester to strengthen your preparedness. That extra experience will offer you the opportunity to send updates to schools if you don't already have an acceptance in hand by the time you start your new activities.

The question has already been answered, but I'll add my voice to saying that the majority of applicants, and the majority of accepted students,
are still coming straight out of college.
 
Doesn't help at all, really. Unless you have some compelling reason to do so (some passion you'd like to pursue after graduating early, etc.) I would just take my time, do extra well in classes, ensure that medicine is the path you want to follow, and apply then. Like people have said, if anything schools are more critical of those graduating early because they're usually not as mature and have had less time to check out different careers.