Does having a W on your transcript hurt you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedoutstud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am unclear about this situation, does having a W on your transcript hurt you? Wouldnt you rather have a W than a bad grade? If you drop a course, then retake it a semester later, does it matter to the adcomms when you take it, as long as you do take it and do well in the course?

Members don't see this ad.

A W is probably better than a C or below and certainly better than a D or F. One W isn't going to make much of a difference, in any case, while a grade below a C may be a red flag. Many Ws, especially for the same class, however, are obviously bad.

If you're invited to interview at Loyola, they give you a sheet asking about your courses, and one of the questions asks you to explain if you have more than two Ws. So, I'm assuming that one or two isn't an issue at all, and that more than that can be ok if you have reason. Just giving Loyola as an example. And I had one W on my undergrad transcript (a silly 1 credit geology course), and it hasn't been any issue anywhere. Good luck