Does Hilary Clinton....

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Chimed, May 6, 2008.

1. Chimed

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ....have a Delusional Disorder?

Anyone following this election should know what I mean...

:beat:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If she doesn't stop after tonight, then yes she is. But so far, she had a fair chance till tonight's polls.

How is this psychiatry related? :rolleyes: Move to political forums?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chimed

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Because there is sooooo much psych in politics! :D

4. TheWowEffect

TheWowEffect The Official WowRator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would bet more on Narcissistic personality disorder :D ; more so if you include Bill Clinton in that.

I am sure there are many similar threads there...I suggest we keep it here and discuss the "psych in politics".

5. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    folie a deux?

:D

6. TheWowEffect

TheWowEffect The Official WowRator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

"folie à plusieurs", if you include people like James Carville, Lanny Davis, Paul Begala, Terry McAulife etc. in this :D

7. JackD

JackD -
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was hoping to come here to get away from politics. Oh well, guess i will play along.

I will agree with delusional disorder.

I will take you one step further and suggest there are signs of borderline personality disorder (anyone someone leaves her campaign for obama, she does a 180 on her opinion of that person), that might also explain all of the crying and her dichotomous opinions of obama. I will also throw in a BDD, i would say there are at least two reasons for that, so think hard. Finally Narcissistic Personality Disorder, since she seems to have a grandiose sense of self-importance, is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, has a sense of entitlement, and is interpersonally exploitative.

8. billypilgrim37

billypilgrim37 Unstuck in Time
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If this thread gets any more pointless, Charles Krauthammer can cut and paste it for his next Washington Post piece... :rolleyes:

9. whopper

whopper Former jolly good fellow
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would advise not to label political candidates with disorders unless its just so blatantly obvious & needed. Not either in this case.

Some would argue that to label someone with a real psychiatric disorder who is not your patient would be unethical & violate the standards under which we practice.

Oh yeah, I'm sure a lot of us would consider these things, talk about it in private with colleagues, but this forum is accessible to the public.

10. billypilgrim37

Attending Physician
    Plus, for psychiatric symptoms to be part of an illness, don't they have to be outside of the cultural context? Come on, OP, we and a few others on this board certainly know one wonderful Mormon psychiatrist who loves to tell his residents and students that we'd have him locked up if we heard half of the things he believed. ;)

Point being, the entire Axis II is entirely adaptive in politics. You'd be disordered not to have a disorder!

I need a T-shirt that says "James Madison was Schizotypal" or something.

11. Where does he teach?

12. billypilgrim37

Attending Physician
    With the current investigations into the Office of Whistleblowing, I will refrain from incriminating myself or others. ;)

13. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

Assuming BDD=Body Dysmorphic Disorder, how would Clinton show signs of that?

And on the topic of psychiatry and (seemingly bizzarre, at least to most Gentiles) Morman beliefs, I'd suggest Under the Banner of Heaven, as it touches heavily on this during the Lafferty trial. (I'm a Gentile who lived in Utah for many years.)

14. DocPsychosis

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Buzzkill.

And biogirl215, I read that book. Good read, I thought. Jon Krakauer always had an engrossing style.

15. Suedehead

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I dig Krakauer, too. Especially his book on everest.
    Banner of Heaven is much more about mormon fundamentalists than mormons, though. Tres different.

16. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

True, true... But it does go into canonical Mormon doctrine in a fair amount of depth, IIRC.

And, yeah, Into Thin Air was awesome.:thumbup: