Does Instructors count as "faculty" and "professors"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClaudioAbbado

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm applying to the allopathic medicine cycle next year and I see on alot of my school's website that 2 letters from science faculty professors are required.

So my question is, does a senior instructor with Ph.D in the science faculty that taught me several upper-level courses meet this requirement? I feel that this instructor can write me much much better LOR than actual professors. Thanks.

-Claudio

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I'm applying to the allopathic medicine cycle next year and I see on alot of my school's website that 2 letters from science faculty professors are required.

So my question is, does a senior instructor with Ph.D in the science faculty that taught me several upper-level courses meet this requirement? I feel that this instructor can write me much much better LOR than actual professors. Thanks.

-Claudio

hmm maybe i'm missing something. if they're the primary instructor and they have a phd, then why wouldn't they count as faculty? do you mean because they don't conduct research and only lecture?

hmm maybe i'm missing something. if they're the primary instructor and they have a phd, then why wouldn't they count as faculty? do you mean because they don't conduct research and only lecture?

Thats correct, at my university Faculty = professors = who do RESEARCH in addition to teaching.

So I wasn't sure if a Instructor who has a Ph.D count as they do not do research and only teach.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition, when I see the requirement PROFESSORS, i was not sure whether they mean LITERALLY professors or just any instructor with Ph.D

There are different academic ranks of faculty:

Emeritus Professor
Professor
Associate Professor
Assistant Professor
Instructor
Lecturer

Then...
Postdoctoral Fellows
Postdoctoral Associates / Scholars
Research Associates
Teaching Assistant

Thus an Instructor may be on faculty, but generally non-tenure track, not full time. But I don't think the requirement is that your letters come from full professors, although the higher ranks are generally more prestigious what matters is that someone writes you a great letter.

I think that you are WAY over thinking this. If someone teaches science, they are a science professor/instructor/ whatever as far as this requirement goes.