Does clinical volunteering count as clinical hours?

Started by octy123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

octy123

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Clinical volunteering is the main source of my clinical hours (350 hours + 50 shadowing + 150 as volunteer MA), but I am getting nervous because I see mixed opinions about clinical volunteering. My work is pretty patient focused as well. I room patients, answer their questions about logistics, explain patient histories to physicians when needed, and accompany our radiologist during rounds so I can help set up/observe ultrasounds. Does this count as clinical hours? I am a reapplicant and planning on reapplying this cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Absolutely. What medical schools want to see is that you have clinical exposure. This can be either through volunteering, or employment.
thank you! last time I applied, I had about 100 hours of this as my only clinical experience, and it highlighted more of the admin side of what I did rather than my more direct clinical exposure. Would I be fine reapplying now with these hours (~550) if I talked more about my direct patient care responsibilities? thanks!
 
thank you! last time I applied, I had about 100 hours of this as my only clinical experience, and it highlighted more of the admin side of what I did rather than my more direct clinical exposure. Would I be fine reapplying now with these hours (~550) if I talked more about my direct patient care responsibilities? thanks!
Yup!!!