Does interest in Dual Programs Increase the Odds for an Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CGT008

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if interview chances increase for an applicant that stated or checked that they are interested in MS/DMD or DMD/Ph.D.? I am slightly more interested in the MS route, however, my first interview is with a school who's application just asked about interest in dual programs and did not specify which type. The interview will most likely be from a panel of DMD and DMD/Ph.D. members, but no one from the MS/DMD department. Just want to know people's thought on the matter. My stats are not the highest so it makes me wonder if this interview will "require" me to commit to the Ph.D. route.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe so. I interviewed at Buffalo and they talked about their Dual Degree Program. The Program isn't some apply to this program and be in a different pool than other applicants going straight for DDS only.

You gain acceptance to the DDS and then they determine whether you can go for the MS/DDS route.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I interviewed also and they mentioned that there is a dual program. I wasn't looking for it, but they emailed me after my interview and asked me if I was interested in applying because of my background. It was a DDS/PhD program. If you commit to the program, they require you to complete most of the PhD before entering the dental school.

I would definitely call and ask if you are interested in the program. I asked about it but wasn't sure about what they required and just gave up until they emailed me about it honestly.