Does IS/OOS Status Matter Post-Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carnival115

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My buddy told me it mattered for Baylor and UMN, where he interviewed, so you might want to ask around. The ratio could vary from school to school.

UCI accepts far more in-state vs out of state. UCLA accepts a good number of out of state.

Per MSAR:
For UCLA: 626 IS Interviews --> 117 matriculants; 310 OOS Interviews --> 49 matriculants
For UCI: 464 IS Interviews --> 93 matriculants; 73 OOS Interviews --> 11 matriculants

UCI accepts far more in-state vs out of state. UCLA accepts a good number of out of state.

Per MSAR:
For UCLA: 626 IS Interviews --> 117 matriculants; 310 OOS Interviews --> 49 matriculants
For UCI: 464 IS Interviews --> 93 matriculants; 73 OOS Interviews --> 11 matriculants
This is actually not the best way to determine OP's questions, because it leaves out the role of location and/or cost preferences of IS vs OOS students once they're accepted. For example, looking at the interview-to-matriculation numbers could make it seem like a given private institution has an IS bias in admissions, when really they accepted an equal amount of IS and OOS students, but their yield was better with the IS ones. You have to look at interview numbers versus acceptance numbers to figure out OP's question about whether IS vs OOS matters post-interview (as in, does the acceptance rate really differ between the two groups).

If somebody has a link to that US News table that shows the related numbers, maybe OP can figure out the answer for the schools he/she's interviewing at. (I don't have it, but I've seen it on here before)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user