Does It Get Lonely In Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does It Get Lonely In Med School?

• Total voters

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who moved away from home to attend Med school do you feel lonely in Med school?
Do you find yourself making a lot of friends in Med school or is it hard to make new friends(everyones too busy studying/doing their own thing)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to make friends as soon as you can, don't be picky, be forgiving, be yourself. I was at my loneliest the first two weeks.

Try to make friends as soon as you can, don't be picky, be forgiving, be yourself. I was at my loneliest the first two weeks.

Watch a few seasons of Survivor and you will learn the all important skill of making an alliance early. Medical school is no different. Having people that can help you get through the emotional hard times (moving, isolation, ridiculous academic load etc) is very necessary.

If you wait too long, all the alliances will be formed, and you will be sorta sol.

Med school does have the potential to become clique-y...however, don't lose hope. I pretty much skipped a lot of class first semester first year and hardly knew anyone in my class, but I made some really good friends when I started going to class more second semester and second year. If nothing else, the social aspect is good motivation to go to class. But, aside from having built in class time with your 150 closest friends, med school isn't that different than life in general. If you don't reach out to people, you won't make friends. Opportunities won't just fall at your doorstep -- sometimes you have to take the initiative to meet new people/spend time with your friends/etc. Don't forget your friends and family outside of med school, too -- they can be a huge source of support.

For those of you who moved away from home to attend Med school do you feel lonely in Med school?
Do you find yourself making a lot of friends in Med school or is it hard to make new friends(everyones too busy studying/doing their own thing)?

As long as someone has halfway decent social skills (which, since we're talking med school, isn't always a given), he/she will have no trouble making friends. Hopefully your school has a lot of orientation week activities, like pub crawls or going to a baseball game - it's a good way to get to meet people. It's also helpful if your school starts with anatomy, since anatomy lab is a great ice-breaker. Even if your school doesn't have either of these things, it's still easy to make friends in other ways.

Plus, think of it this way - you're probably NOT the only person in your med school class who had to move away from home to attend it. Other people will be feeling just as "uprooted" as you are, so will probably be eager to do fun stuff with their classmates.

The loneliest times for me in med school have been when I have felt like I'm the only person struggling with the material, or the only person who isn't certain that I passed the last exam. Or when I feel like my personal problems are threatening to take over my studies. Then, I have definitely felt very lonely. But I've also found that if someone (not always me) is brave enough to speak up and admit that they're struggling, everyone has either chimed in with relief, or has been very supportive and sympathetic.

So I am not the most outgoing guy in the world. I'm not shy, I'm outspoken, and I'm terrible with names. But I just don't really care to meet everyone in my class. First week of school, we had a baseball game. We also had anatomy groups forming up. So I'm talking to this dude who went to Vandy, and he's like, are you willing to work hard, come in, and do great? I told him, oh yeah! thinking, oh no, but I'm gonna mooch on some knoweldge. So we're talking to this girl, and he's like, we need a girl in our group for balance, and turns out her Dad also went to Navy and did subs, like me. We've been best buds ever since. Then we found a third dude, from Ghana. Alex, the dude from Ghana, recruits the fifth person, a chick he went to TSU with, who drops out after second block.

Anatomy labs is the best way to get to know people. Turns out there is a SEAL in our class, so I want to meet the guy, cause I'm Navy too, and worked with some SEALS. Turns out his cadavear is right across from mine, and his whole group is all U of Memphis people, so our group starts hanging out with their group. Then we go to some parties, where meet all the drinkers and partiers, and presto-zappo, you're integrated.

ohh, most importantly, it may get lonely at first, but wait a year. You'll be super happy if no one is around to distract you.

Watch a few seasons of Survivor and you will learn the all important skill of making an alliance early. Medical school is no different. Having people that can help you get through the emotional hard times (moving, isolation, ridiculous academic load etc) is very necessary.

If you wait too long, all the alliances will be formed, and you will be sorta sol.

At first I laughed, but then realized you are 100% right. You rock, Flop.