Dec 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Lets say I'm really interested in this one school and haven't heard anything back from them. Would it help for me to give the school a call and ask them my status? I'm kinda iffy on doing that because it's sort of a roundabout way of asking if ill get an interview and I'd feel like I would be pestering them. Thoughts and opinions?

Member902507

5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Lets say I'm really interested in this one school and haven't heard anything back from them. Would it help for me to give the school a call and ask them my status? I'm kinda iffy on doing that because it's sort of a roundabout way of asking if ill get an interview and I'd feel like I would be pestering them. Thoughts and opinions?
I think you can definitely try. Once I got an interview, once I got rejected. Overall, I think it just helps them "speed up" a little, but most of the times, they just tell you that you're still "under review". Even then, I think it'd be a good idea.

OP
F
Dec 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hmm okay thanks! Did you just call them up an ask for your application status?

Member902507

5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Essentially, yes. It's hard to find the fine line between being inquisitive and being annoying...I'm hoping I always stayed on the former's side, but it just depends on the mood of the people I'm speaking with (you don't wanna piss anyone off either). I've found though, that most people try to be helpful.

Member902507

5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Some schools supposedly keep notes. They tell you if they'll put it in your app or not. But I'm not sure which ones do or not. I generally speak with either one person all the time, or between 2 people, depends on who answers, I guess. At some schools though, they don't say their name while answering, so I have no idea.

Jan 10, 2013
USA
Status
Dental Student
I still have not heard back from some schools too and when I call I usually get the same response: "I can't give any information over the phone...you should check aadsas for an update". -_-

Your best bet is to email them that way they can see you are still interested in attending their school. GLuck!

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
its a good idea to call the school and ask about ways to improve ur application (GPA, DAT, etc etc)

However, for most schools, calling them for the sakes of "bumping" ur application is not helpful as most often, the person picking up the phone isn't a decision maker. Imagine if all 2000 applicants called the schools just to get their application bumped. Unrealistic.

On the other hand, I know a few schools (or at least I've heard rumors) that they monitor the number of times the applicant called and checked their application (maybe sign of interest).... Nova comes to mind