Does it look bad if you apply to many schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am making my way through the supplemental applications of the various schools I am applying to I keep running across a question that asks me to list all of the school I am applying to this cycle. I am currently applying to 11 veterinary schools for 2011 matriculation. Does it look bad to apply to a bunch of schools?

Members don't see this ad.

i personally don't think it's a bad thing b/c you may be increasing your chances for acceptance and the opportunity to become a vet. as long as you have valid reasons for applying to each program (in case they ask you why you want to attend that particular school during an interview) then it's not a negative thing. i can think of at least one person off the top of my head from the c/o 2014 who applied to a large number of schools and didn't seem to have any problems.

As I am making my way through the supplemental applications of the various schools I am applying to I keep running across a question that asks me to list all of the school I am applying to this cycle. I am currently applying to 11 veterinary schools for 2011 matriculation. Does it look bad to apply to a bunch of schools?

Also depending on where you are from, OOS might be the only option, and OOS chances are much smaller...sooo more schools makes sense! :) I think I applied to 11 or 12? I forget. It was a much bigger number than colleges I applied to...

Members don't see this ad :)
like both previous posters said, it's really not a problem as long as you have valid reasons for applying to the school.
additionally, a lot of supplemental apps will have short essay questions that try to address the 'why this school/program' question anyways...and it's definitely possible for something along those lines to come up at interviews too, so regardless if you're applying to 1 or 20 schools, i think it's always good to have an answer for that.

i applied to 9 and it never came up...i also know someone who applied to like 24 and got into several, so i wouldn't fret over it too much

As of now I plan to apply to 8 schools this cycle. It feels like alot right now and my greatest fear of applying to this many schools is not being able to tailor my app to each school. I agree that it may not be an issue with schools, but if asked why did I apply to so many schools, my response will be along the lines of expressing my ultimate goal - to be a veterinarian.

Thanks for the help everybody. I was just afraid that some adcoms might look at the number of schools I applied to and would think that I was just applying everywhere just to get in without caring about where I am. In truth, I have carefully selected each school that I am applying to. Thanks again.

In truth, I have carefully selected each school that I am applying to.

Then you should be fine! Express this exact sentiment in interviews, but then of course add that the school you're currently at is at the top of your list for XY&Z reasons (i.e., After learning more about your school and seeing your facilities, I have become increasingly interested in your institution and really see myself here) ;)

I applied to 16 schools basically based on their requirements. As far as I know they don't care. The woman from Ross even seemed like she thought it was a good idea. The only issue I had was at my interview for VMRC. One of the questions (their interview process sucks btw) was something like, "What about VMRC made you apply here?" I had to make something up because I didn't know enough about the program.

So that's my only advice. Know a little about each program just in case.

I'll mostly reiterate what everyone else has said. I made a list of the best qualities of each school that I applied to, so that I could talk about why X school was my first choice if it came up. And at my Ohio interview, they asked what schools I had applied to and why, and I was able to fully answer the question. So make sure to be prepared to talk about all 11 schools.

I applied to 8 schools, got accepted to 3 (Ohio was one of them), wait listed at one, and declined one interview... so I seriously doubt that the number of schools you apply to factors much into their decision.

\I made a list of the best qualities of each school that I applied to, so that I could talk about why X school was my first choice if it came up.

My advice: I would make the list of the best qualities that are personal to you. For example, just because a school has the best nutrition research division doesn't mean you should make it your main point of attending the school if it is not relevant to you.

Also, I think most adcoms understand the nature of vet school admissions, and completely understand that you need to increase your odds of getting into school.

I think at my Ohio interview I was asked how I chose the schools I applied to, and I answered something along the lines of, "Well, I've worked my butt off the last 6 years of my life for this and believe I'm the best applicant I'll ever be, and am determined to go to vet school this year. I understand that it's very competitive, and no one can say for sure which school they will get into... so to increase my odds, I've applied to all the schools in the Northeast, plus a few in the mid-west that accept a fair number of OOS, and Davis since I would be considered for IS tuition"

Then that was followed by "Is OSU one of your top choices?" and I answered that it definitely was since the cost of attendance is probably the lowest at OSU of my viable choices. I was pretty much accepted on the spot, so I don't think they minded that I applied to a bunch of schools.

Just something to keep in mind is interview conflicts. While it didn't happen to me, I saw some posts about this on here. There is only a few months when interviews are done and with a lot of applications, you may have multiple interviews on the same day. I am not saying don't go for it, just be prepared to make a tough decision. I guess that applies to multiple acceptances too. Good luck:luck::)

Just something to keep in mind is interview conflicts.

Yes, that's a great point and it sucks. While I didn't end up with two on the same day... I had OSU scheduled for a Saturday and got my tickets and stuff. THEN, Penn tells me I have an interview that Friday... ugh... That trip ended up costing me well over $1000 dollars in airfare since I needed to cancel my original trip and do a multi-city trip... and it was mid-december so the tix prices were sky-rocketing.

There are some schools that are pretty unaccommodating when it comes to interview conflicts, so beware.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice: I would make the list of the best qualities that are personal to you. For example, just because a school has the best nutrition research division doesn't mean you should make it your main point of attending the school if it is not relevant to you.

Sorry for not being more specific in my first post - this is what I did and meant to imply. I'm tracking lab animal medicine, so I looked into each schools' research, curriculum, and other opportunities that would be relevant to me.

The only issue I had was at my interview for VMRC. One of the questions (their interview process sucks btw) was something like, "What about VMRC made you apply here?" I had to make something up because I didn't know enough about the program.

So that's my only advice. Know a little about each program just in case.

i remember this question and interviewer. I had a list of about 10 things for reasons why i applied there and she still looked at me with a blank face and kept asking...and?? i was like wtf woman, i just explained the whole curriculum, the environment, the research etc etc i had a feeling this question was coming so i had prepared for it. I did not like that woman!

i remember this question and interviewer. I had a list of about 10 things for reasons why i applied there and she still looked at me with a blank face and kept asking...and?? i was like wtf woman, i just explained the whole curriculum, the environment, the research etc etc i had a feeling this question was coming so i had prepared for it. I did not like that woman!

Must have been something in the water because I had some old curmudgeon of a man who looked at me like I was crazy when I said something about their large animal programs. Did not like that interview process. I think I seriously offended the woman who had the "if you had to pick people to re-start civilization based on their occupation, age, and sex, who would you choose and why" question.

Must have been something in the water because I had some old curmudgeon of a man who looked at me like I was crazy when I said something about their large animal programs. Did not like that interview process. I think I seriously offended the woman who had the "if you had to pick people to re-start civilization based on their occupation, age, and sex, who would you choose and why" question.

That question seems like quite a loaded one, jeez... :eek:

I think I seriously offended the woman who had the "if you had to pick people to re-start civilization based on their occupation, age, and sex, who would you choose and why" question.

oooh ooh do share your response! what kind of answer was that lady expecting anyway? wtf?

male carpenters in their 30s + female basket weavers in their late teens... plus 1 body builder for eye candy and a geriatric academic philosopher to sprinkle words of wisdom as the village sage?

oooh ooh do share your response! what kind of answer was that lady expecting anyway? wtf?

male carpenters in their 30s + female basket weavers in their late teens... plus 1 body builder for eye candy and a geriatric academic philosopher to sprinkle words of wisdom as the village sage?

Well for anyone that doesn't know how the VMRC interview process works, it sucks. There are various prompts set up on the outside of doors in one of their buildings. Everyone rotates through these prompts simultaneously. So while one person is reading prompt 1 another is reading prompt 2 and so forth. You have a set time to read and form some kind of answer. A bell rings and you enter the room where someone from the admissions staff is waiting. You have a limited time to answer the prompt and any questions that person might have.

The specific prompt I'm thinking of was that the world had ended or something like that. Then it gave a list of people, their age/sex, and occupation. You were allowed to pick 3 I think and then had to explain your choices to the person sitting in the room. I don't think I picked anyone over 30 and the woman sitting in the room was clearly over 40. I stammered around trying not to offend her by saying I wouldn't take anyone older because let's be real, they wouldn't contribute to the propagation of the species. It was awkward.

I'd like to seond (third? fourth?) what everyone else on here said. If you have a reason for applying to each school you are applying to, then apply for a lot (if you can afford it, that is!).

I plan on applying to 12! That's a lot of secondaries :eek:

The specific prompt I'm thinking of was that the world had ended or something like that. Then it gave a list of people, their age/sex, and occupation. You were allowed to pick 3 I think and then had to explain your choices to the person sitting in the room. I don't think I picked anyone over 30 and the woman sitting in the room was clearly over 40. I stammered around trying not to offend her by saying I wouldn't take anyone older because let's be real, they wouldn't contribute to the propagation of the species. It was awkward.

W...t...f? KUDOS to those that had to go through this..

I don't remember that one being so very terrible--possibly because it was my last one!

I heard about the interview process at VMRCVM from a friend of mine who interviewed with them last year. I am the kind of person who really enjoys abstract off the wall questions so I really hope I get the chance to interview with Virginia-Maryland. Thanks for all the help everyone!

How about the opposite question. How does it look if you only apply to one school? I guess I could possibly see adcoms looking at it as they are not as dedicated than other applicants. I mean I've realized it is torture to analyze everything in perspective of how the adcoms will view it, but this is a question that makes me wonder. I could apply to other schools but whether or not I would go if accepted is the real question. I have a handful of schools I would love to attend if I had no strings, but unfortunately those strings have limited me to a smaller pool of schools. Any thoughts?

If you apply to one school or many, be prepared to justify your choice in an interview. I was definitely asked (and I know someone else who was too).

I don't think I picked anyone over 30 and the woman sitting in the room was clearly over 40. I stammered around trying not to offend her by saying I wouldn't take anyone older because let's be real, they wouldn't contribute to the propagation of the species. It was awkward.

holy crap that must've been awkward... esp if she visibly looked ticked off!

I plan on applying to 12! That's a lot of secondaries :eek:

Holy cow, thank you! I am still a ways off from applying (next application cycle) but I am having a hard time narrowing down my list of 13!

Also, on top of knowing why you are applying to each school, have some understanding of how the schools compare to each other. IE 1 clinical year or 2? teaching methodology? These things can pop up in interviews unexpectedly (ie you don't want to say 'having the maximum amount of time in clinics is very important to me' to a 1 year clinical school when a 2 year clinical school is on your list.' Also, you may need to be able to compare and contrast 2 schools. An interviewer might say 'I see your applying to Cornell and NCSU and MS. Those are very different programs; how did you select them?' If you don't know how they are different or similar, you might feel like it is a frustrating question.

Also, on top of knowing why you are applying to each school, have some understanding of how the schools compare to each other. IE 1 clinical year or 2? teaching methodology? These things can pop up in interviews unexpectedly (ie you don't want to say 'having the maximum amount of time in clinics is very important to me' to a 1 year clinical school when a 2 year clinical school is on your list.' Also, you may need to be able to compare and contrast 2 schools. An interviewer might say 'I see your applying to Cornell and NCSU and MS. Those are very different programs; how did you select them?' If you don't know how they are different or similar, you might feel like it is a frustrating question.

Aside from reading the website, where did/do you find out more in-depth information about each school and their program? I'm applying to nine schools and I'm sure something will come up re: number of schools applying to, but I don't want to just parrot back the information on their website :(

All I did was use their websites and their PR materials. many schools have facebook pages and twitter feeds now, plus shiny brochures. follow their news releases. I am on a couple of news release email lists for our school that I signed up for prior to applying and it has been pretty helpful. IE I asked a clinician that I hadn't met how she is enjoying working on a tv documentry (news release) and she was pleased a student knew about it and asked....which is what networking is about.