Does it make sense doing an MD after Pharamcy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmay0001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a pharmacy graduate with an MPharm (not PharmD) but i had the option to choose the 3year PharmD vs 5 year MD. In my country MD is Free if you have a undergrad and you are a EU student. so i opted for MD as i already am a practicing Pharmacist with a MPharm.

Problem is although im getting on well in the MD course i am feeling that i am more cut to do research then practice. I think i would fit in a Pharma Company doing drug development, however only now that i am in my second year M2 i have realized this.

Plus im getting old im 28 soon. cant waste much time.

Members don't see this ad.

Im a pharmacy graduate with an MPharm (not PharmD) but i had the option to choose the 3year PharmD vs 5 year MD. In my country MD is Free if you have a undergrad and you are a EU student. so i opted for MD as i already am a practicing Pharmacist with a MPharm.

Problem is although im getting on well in the MD course i am feeling that i am more cut to do research then practice. I think i would fit in a Pharma Company doing drug development, however only now that i am in my second year M2 i have realized this.

Plus im getting old im 28 soon. cant waste much time.
Drug companies don't hire PharmD's to do research. They hire PhD's and MD's.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Drug companies don't hire PharmD's to do research. They hire PhD's and MD's.

"Drug companies" hire PharmD to study design clinical studies, analyze PK/PD data, research pharmacoeconomic models, but most I know (that work for pharma) are MSLs.

If you know you want to do research, getting an MD is a good way. If you really don't want to finish the MD, then I would look into a PhD program. There is little reason to get a PharmD, if you know you want to go into research.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you become a MSL with just a Masters?

You should consider taking the ERASMUS option year to either Italy, France, or Germany (depends on your language skill) to work in one of the laboratories. Someone who has a French higher doctorate (Dr with HaDDR) or a German Dr. Habil can supervise your work if you're interested in that sort of career pathway as an MD. You're a very common case. I would stick the MD course out and consider whether your research experience can be at the MD or the Habilitation level.

As others said do MD or PhD. If you really are cut out to be a good MD then you can learn Pharm D material on your own easily

Last edited: