Does it matter if I go to a school that doesn't have a PT school program if I am interested in PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Reohgoingplaces

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've applied to Tarleton State University and got accepted, however they don't have a PT school, but only a really good nursing program. Would it be best for me to apply to a university that does have a PT school for my undergrad degree and then go straight into the PT school?
 
Your undergrad school doesn't need to have a PT school. I think there are only a little over 200 PT schools in the US and there are around 2000 colleges/universities (not including another 2000 or so 2 yr schools), so most people probably come from a college that doesn't have a PT program.
 
Where you went to undergrad really does not matter.

Just make sure you complete all prerequisite courses and get excellent grades
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doesn't really matter but you should shoot for a PT school or a school that has some kind of affiliate agreement. It ^ your chances of getting in. There's tons of them at my school and you finish school faster.
 
I've applied to Tarleton State University and got accepted, however they don't have a PT school, but only a really good nursing program. Would it be best for me to apply to a university that does have a PT school for my undergrad degree and then go straight into the PT school?
I would say if you have a choice I would strongly suggest you attend an undergrad program at a school that has a DPT program. I feel it's easier to get into a program if you attend undergrad there. Just my opinion.