Does it matter if I shadow a corporate or private practice dentist? Thoughts on contacting them through Instagram :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I contact recent dental graduates via Instagram?

• Total voters

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm curious about whether it matters if I shadow a corporate office or a private practice? Has anyone had experience with either offices? Also, does it matter which school they attended? Say if I shadowed a dentist that did or did NOT attend my "dream" school, would that somehow influence an admissions perception of me. Also, I noticed there are plenty of recent dental school graduates who are now working in offices, would it be weird to contact them through the DM's. I know this is typically unprofessional, however, I tried to look them up online and their office email or number isn't available. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Is their office address available? That’s the only contact info you should care about

Hey guys,
So I'm curious about whether it matters if I shadow a corporate office or a private practice? Has anyone had experience with either offices? Also, does it matter which school they attended? Say if I shadowed a dentist that did or did NOT attend my "dream" school, would that somehow influence an admissions perception of me. Also, I noticed there are plenty of recent dental school graduates who are now working in offices, would it be weird to contact them through the DM's. I know this is typically unprofessional, however, I tried to look them up online and their office email or number isn't available. Please help!
does not matter at all what school they went to most of the time. If there is a school that you want into, there is a possibility they may have connections there and can put in a good word if they really like you. again this is very minor and not what you should base shadowing off of. so to be clear your 'dream' school has nothing to do with it.

honestly I don't really even understand what 'dream' school even means. You know very little about dentistry or dental school. It is a challenging phase of your life regardless of where you go. Most schools are very similar, full of random boxes and hoops to jump through with incompetent admin.

I wouldn't contact anyone via any method except in person. Show up to as many offices as it takes and say I want to shadow. eventually one will let you in. I would try private first as corps tend to be busier or have a revolving door of docs that may not be able to spend time to write you an LOR.

Reactions: 2 users