Does it matter if your COMLEX went down when your USMLE went up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibarne242

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not posting specific scores to avoid any type of label.
My specialty choice is family med. I know it's not competitive, I get it. But I'm trying to match in New York City or Chicago.

USMLE went up by 16 points. Both were just a little above the national average for each respective exam
My COMLEX went down 26 points though. COMLEX 1 was more akin to my step 1 score, my COMLEX 2 score almost looks puny compared to my step 2. I have no idea why.

Is this going to matter? Like, I feel like it looks kind of bizarre. It makes no sense that my USMLE only improved, and that's actually the harder exam.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not posting specific scores to avoid any type of label.
My specialty choice is family med. I know it's not competitive, I get it. But I'm trying to match in New York City or Chicago.

USMLE went up by 16 points. Both were just a little above the national average for each respective exam
My COMLEX went down 26 points though. COMLEX 1 was more akin to my step 1 score, my COMLEX 2 score almost looks puny compared to my step 2. I have no idea why.

Is this going to matter? Like, I feel like it looks kind of bizarre. It makes no sense that my USMLE only improved, and that's actually the harder exam.

Dont worry about it.... with the USMLE you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
In FM you will be fine. Most fields see USMLE as the better test, so you picked the right one to do better on.

Reactions: 1 user

Do you have any idea what are the STEP 1 (COMLEX and/or USMLE) score ranges to be competitive for FM in NYC or Chicago (or any Metropolitan city)?

Same situation here. My USMLE went up by 28 points (I did very poorly on step 1) and comlex went down by 18 points. Glad to know I'm not completely screwed

Do you have any idea what are the STEP 1 (COMLEX and/or USMLE) score ranges to be competitive for FM in NYC or Chicago (or any Metropolitan city)?
I'd say keep your USMLE above 220-225 and your comlex above 600 and you're good to go.
Even if you're a bit below that you're fine.
You're going to struggle to match if your USMLE is less than 215 or if your comlex is below 500
I mean this for major cities which are competitive.
You can literally fail boards and match if you apply to very unpopular areas.

Last edited:
You’ll be fine. The big city FM programs are not as competitive as you might think because they prepare don’t prepare you like the full spectrum programs (unless it’s inner city) because there is so much subspecialty support in the city. FM will be referring a lot more. And a big draw for FM is also doing the derm and other procedures. This leaves the big city programs less competitive

I am a current 4th year on the interview trail rn.

USMLE went up by 20 points. COMLEX dropped by 40+ points.

Have 15+ interviews in one specialty and 5 interviews (out of 6 apps) in a backup specialty.

Ready for a rant? Here you go.

COMLEX is nothing but a money grab for NBOME and they know it. It is a poorly written, stupid excuse for an exam and is useless. These greedy bastards won't let us go on without taking it because they will lose millions if USMLE decides to just tack on an OMM portion. That's the only reason why we take it. IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

It is what it is though.

Rant over.

Good luck :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Usmd programs as long as your level one is above their cut off will not care about level two for FM. Sometimes people with good steps get missed if they <500 level one but your fineeee