Does it matter what kind of research you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZRCMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really not interested in doing molecular bio research or anything of the sort. However, I'd like to do some psych or history research. Does it matter to adcoms/ will this put me at any disadvantage to those doing hard-science research?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that would depend in part upon the type of psych research and what you're hoping to do w/ your MD (and therefore express in your PS). History research is always non-clinical and doesn't really have many similarities to basic research either, so that'd be a bad choice; however, there is clinical research in psych (just like in medicine) and many psychologists study areas closely related to medicine (clinical, neuro, clinical neuro, health/preventative, etc.). If you did research in an area closely related to medicine, it should be viewed positively.
Also, it's noteworthy that psych research uses many of the same research methods as does biomedical; as a result, the experience would be valuable. On the other hand, history research is going to be largely archival, which is going to require a very different set of tools.

I think that would depend in part upon the type of psych research and what you're hoping to do w/ your MD (and therefore express in your PS). History research is always non-clinical and doesn't really have many similarities to basic research either, so that'd be a bad choice; however, there is clinical research in psych (just like in medicine) and many psychologists study areas closely related to medicine (clinical, neuro, clinical neuro, health/preventative, etc.). If you did research in an area closely related to medicine, it should be viewed positively.
Also, it's noteworthy that psych research uses many of the same research methods as does biomedical; as a result, the experience would be valuable. On the other hand, history research is going to be largely archival, which is going to require a very different set of tools.

True, but by the same token, I think it sort of sets you apart from the cookie-cutter premed resume that most other people have. I have bioanalytical chem research experience. Lol. Typical. They are going to look at me and say, "Why, yes m'aam. So do the other thousands of qualified applicants". :laugh:

Everyone tells me it doesn't matter as long as you focus on the analytical aspects of research.

I find ecological research much more interesting because I am more of an adventure seeking person versus a stay in the lab all day type person. Just do what you want.

Don't do research just because it looks good on the app. Some people in admission have told me that they only really care about your research if you have published something. So, just do it if you really want to.

I personally think it is a fascinating process and suggest that you try it for a summer just to see if you like it.