Does it really get better after this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubyness

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something DocWagner mentioned on the Had Enough? post made me want to ask this-- does it really get better after this? I am an MS2 (currently studying for boards-ha ha-maybe this is influencing my post!) and I know that next year is going to be tough. I've heard some folks remark that 4th year is better, but is it true? Is there a point where things improve? Or does it continue to get harder and harder? Because 2nd year was harder than 1st and 3rd will be harder than 2nd.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose it differs for everyone, but I loved 4th year of medical school. I felt like I had actually learned something and apart from the stress of residency applications, I enjoyed my rotations - especially the electives.

Now intern year was worse than 4th year and 2nd year of residency better than intern year (but for our Ortho residents its the reverse - they work like dogs during their 2nd year).

It will get better - most people find they enjoy their clinical rotations even if the hours are longer than during basic science years.

Ruby,

Just finished third year and it was tough, but still a LOT more fun than the lecture hall doldrums of second year. It is especially tough at the beginning as you adjust to the new schedule and the fact that you are being CONSTANTLY evaluated on everything you do, but don't despair! You finally get to apply a little bit of that stuff you've been learning for the last two years.

Best of luck! MC

Members don't see this ad :)
Ruby, it does get better, and worse. I liked the clinical years better than basic science years. Still, I cried at least once during every single rotation. I cried almost every day during internal medicine! I wasn't upset about the level of difficulty, but over the adjustments. It can be very odd being a student in front of a patient that thinks you are a doctor (no matter how many times you have told them that you are a student and how bumbling you have been around them!).

For example, I scared my mother the other day. Her best friend of many years is recovering from having a valve replaced, and the friend is having a difficult time. My mom related a complaint she had heard at work about handicapped people needing more exercise so the handicapped spots shouldn't be the closest ones. I told her about a patient of mine that had congestive heart failure, and how near the end, he had to rest half a day just after a trip to the bathroom. I told her that earlier in the course of his disease he may have like to have gotten out in the world, but probably didn't want to expend the litte energy he had in the parking lot. My mom is fairly sharp, and became concerned that her friend was likely to suffer the same fate. What I thought was an innocent conversation became very scary for someone I really care about.

About a year ago, I met a woman with breast cancer. We were talking about why we were in the particular city, and she said she was there to see a "natural healing" guru for her breast cancer. Several years previously, her surgeon told her that the mass needed to be removed, most likely along with her breast. The woman was so scared that she never went back to get any treatment. She decided that she was going to go to natural healers, and it was working because she could see the cancer coming out of her skin. (yes!). While I know that there will be people who will have difficulty coming to terms with disease, I'm scared that I'm going to scare someone away.

Anyway, enough rambling. Hang in there, Ruby.

I think the last semester of 2nd year med school is the worst part of med school. You're tired of lectures and studying and you're stressed out about the boards - it's no fun.

I found 3rd year to be awesome! Yes, it was tough work, early mornings and late nights, but I loved about 95% of it. It was like I felt I was finally doing what i came to med school to do. Suddenly I got more passionate about studying b/c I could see that this knowlege really means something when I could see it in live patients. I didn't think the work load, overall, was all that bad. Sure you have your tough rotations, but there are always some easier ones to balance them out, like family medicine with it's weekends off, and psych with nice hours - it all balances out.

Fourth year is truly the most expensive vacation you'll ever have. I am going into surgery, so I did a few hard rotations at the beginning of the year. But by December I was on all easier electives, where I learned something but only put in less than 6 hours a day M-F only - very nice! Then april, may, june were all vacation time. Every school varies on their schedules, but my school is pretty good about letting you relax 4th year.

As far as residency, you pick the specialty and the place. If you find third year that you really miss your time at home/away from the hospital, choose specialties with nicer hours and do some electives in them early 4th year to make sure you like them.

Dont' get discouraged - beleive me the toughest part is the 1st 2 years and you're almost done!

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I definitely think the past few months have been the hardest-- once we hit renal path it was intense from then on out.

And now with the boards...

I have been waiting for 3rd year ever since I started in pre-med-- finally it IS what you want to do!! I've heard a lot of horror stories from others about the year, and I've taken them with a grain of salt, but after you hear enough of them it starts to make you wonder if there's a theme...

Anyway, I am REALLY excited to begin 3rd year-- I start with surgery and I can't wait!

I am curious about the 4th year $18, 000 vacation-- if you're still in the hospital and everything, why is it easier than 3rd year? Is it just because you know more, or is less actually expected of you? Or is it because you get to choose your schedule based on your interests? What about tests? Are they easier? Less intense?

thanks again!!

My 4th year of med school was the best and easiest because:

1. There is a certain amount of vacation built in (3 months in my case)

2. Early on, you are doing electives in the field you will go into. It's the first time you really feel like one of them. You work hard because it's interesting to you, not because you have to. You have some increased responsibility over 3rd year, but you still don't really have any power, so if you want to order something and you are way off base, no harm done.

3. Many of the required rotations were pretty laid back. The residents and attendings know we have chosen our field and/or matched, and they often have somewhat lower expectations than they would have for third year clerkships (not always, though) Plus many of the required things have light schedules.

4. Interviewing is fun and stressful at the same time.

5. You have several months off...and won't be able to take several months off for a long time

6. You are looked up to by 3 levels of people below you...M1-3. They will start coming to you for advice as to how to match. In the weeks after match day, I felt like a demi-god as the M3's would stop and me almost anywhere and ask (sometimes beg) for my advice on how to match in surgery! M1 and M2 did, too but to a lesser extent because you see the M3's more.

During our prientation for 3rd year, every doctor we asked said the first 2 years of medical school were the worst of their life. Boy do I hope they're right in my case. I start Peds on Monday.....

Getting ready to start my 4th year on Monday. The third year clerkships are fun. This is where you can start putting it all together. I have decided to go into Peds after finishing with Peds just a few weeks ago, so go into each rotation with a good attitiude, study hard and have fun. Best of luck to all.

Today is my first day as an MS-IV. I woke up this morning terrified!. I literally jumped out of bed because when I opened my eyes, it was daylight. After seeing my alarm clock reading 7:00, it took a couple of seconds to realize that I wasn't actually 3 hours late for work!

Fourth year is better than third at my school because a lot of the pressure is off. You are required to read and learn on you electives, and especially your AI's, but things are better. IMO, the primary positive change is that grading goes from A, B, C, F to pass/fail, which is a much better system. Also, your attendings and house staff are for the most part nicer for reasons previously stated. You have more choice in scheduling which allows you to avoid more malignant rotations in areas you aren't interested in as a career.

Good luck in 3rd yr! It's hard work, and at times you feel like a professional **** taker, but is is a great improvement over the insane hours spent in lecture and studying during the first 2 yrs.

do we get weekends off for all rotations or only in certain rotations like family medicine?

Originally posted by Azn Slacker
do we get weekends off for all rotations or only in certain rotations like family medicine?

It would vary greatly with the program, the rotation, the patient census and the faculty/resident staff.

As a student I came in on weekends on some rotations and not on others. Most required me to come in 1 day on the weekend - students ahead of you can give you the details of each rotation before you start.