Does it really matter ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't get in this year. No interviews yet, and rejections from all but penn state and sinai. But i've stopped believing in this application cycle (2006).

I have come to the conclusion that unless u are GUNG HO for research or have graduated from a top 10 medical school it really DOESN'T matter where u get in? whether it be penn state (would love to go here!) or medical school in Ireland.

The reason i pose this question is because i'm considering reapplying but parents insisit i save a year and start school in the carribean.

suggestion and/or comments? And i am an international student finishing undergrad in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

If this is your first round, I would give it at least one more go before going outside the US (unless you want to practice outside the US). The problem is, students from schools outside the US generally have a lot harder time when it comes to residency matching...

Well if you are an international student and want to practice in your country of origin you are right it probably matters little if you go to to an international school or one in the US...if you want to practice here though it will make your life more difficult and might limit your options if your degree is from outside the states or canada...if you can stay here do it and for the record there is a difference between schools I can attest to that...I think everywhere I've looked offered a good education, but Missouri didn't compare to Iowa...and Mayo kicked the crap out of every school I visited...Iowa and Mayo are top 30 and their is a huge difference between those schools and the ones who would fall in the middle of the back like 60's and 70's if the rank went that low

Depakote said:
If this is your first round, I would give it at least one more go before going outside the US (unless you want to practice outside the US). The problem is, students from schools outside the US generally have a lot harder time when it comes to residency matching...

Depends on the residency you're trying to match into. Some are WIDE open (Internal Medicine, Family Practice, etc.) and gladly take FMGs just to fill the intern class.