Does Kaplan cover Gen Chem/Org well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DoctorSaab

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think people are repeating two different things on this board about the bio section. Some people say Kaplans bio section is great, while others say the total opposite. That doesn't help very much.

I think it's easier for me to just start from the beginning of my Campbells bio book and read through all the topics with Kaplan at the side. It takes more time but I think its not that bad because you have alot of great pictures and diagrams to help you with. I'm just doing this for the bio section.

Now for Gen Chem and Organic, does everyone agree that Kaplan is good at covering the topics? Will Kaplan be enough for them?

People seem to be more stressed about biology than the Gen Chem/Org on this board. Any particular reason?
 
DoctorSaab said:
I think people are repeating two different things on this board about the bio section. Some people say Kaplans bio section is great, while others say the total opposite. That doesn't help very much.

I think it's easier for me to just start from the beginning of my Campbells bio book and read through all the topics with Kaplan at the side. It takes more time but I think its not that bad because you have alot of great pictures and diagrams to help you with. I'm just doing this for the bio section.

Now for Gen Chem and Organic, does everyone agree that Kaplan is good at covering the topics? Will Kaplan be enough for them?

People seem to be more stressed about biology than the Gen Chem/Org on this board. Any particular reason?

I don't think Kaplan's lectures really covered anything well, but I've been out of school for a year (so it's been about three years since o-chem/bio/gen chem). For those subjects I've been using my old textbooks and the Schaum's Outlines series. I've only been using the Kaplan texts as a list as to what to focus on in my textbooks.

What is good about Kaplan are the tests. I've been taking all the subject tests in order to figure out which areas I need to really focus on more (even after studying from the textbook). I've just finished studying all my o-chem, g-chem, and bio and am going to take the science integrated Kaplan tests and spend some time focusing on PAT and QR.

Mark
 
I agree that Kaplan's test are great, and the explanations go a long way in increasing understanding or material missed before or knocking off the cobb webbs. I know that it is expensive, but the practice tests along with the ample online tests go a long way in over preparing you for the DAT. God Bless.
 
grant555 said:
I agree that Kaplan's test are great, and the explanations go a long way in increasing understanding or material missed before or knocking off the cobb webbs. I know that it is expensive, but the practice tests along with the ample online tests go a long way in over preparing you for the DAT. God Bless.

Are the online tests the same as the tests that are available in their training library?
 
DoctorSaab said:
I think people are repeating two different things on this board about the bio section. Some people say Kaplans bio section is great, while others say the total opposite. That doesn't help very much.

I think it's easier for me to just start from the beginning of my Campbells bio book and read through all the topics with Kaplan at the side. It takes more time but I think its not that bad because you have alot of great pictures and diagrams to help you with. I'm just doing this for the bio section.

Now for Gen Chem and Organic, does everyone agree that Kaplan is good at covering the topics? Will Kaplan be enough for them?

People seem to be more stressed about biology than the Gen Chem/Org on this board. Any particular reason?


I really haven't read where anyone has said Kaplan covers bio well. I think your strategy of using Campbell and only Kaplan as a guide to what you study is a good plan.

For gchem and ochem the kaplan book is sufficient. There are no surprises with these two sections on the actual DAT. If you understand everything in the Kaplan book and do well on Topscore in these two sections you have nothing to worry about.

I think the worry about Bio comes from the range of material that you could possibly get. Some of my questions were very broad and some were very obscure and detailed questions. The latter is what killed me. Also, a lot of the questions on my test weren't as straight forward as they are on Topscore and Kaplan.