Does lack of shadowing experience raise red flags?

Started by Intuitive
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Intuitive

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. I would like to know of the importance of shadowing experience. Is it expected from most premed applicants (I'm still in high-school)? The problem is, I live in Canada and it is completely illegal for non-medical students to shadow doctors. I can make it up with ample research and volunteering, but would it be a detriment to my application if it is lacking in shadowing experience because of this?

Thanks in advance for all the help and input. 🙂
 
I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US you don't have to apply to be premed. I don't think any schools would expect you to have much if any medical experience prior to starting college.
Hi. I didn't mean shadowing during high-school (already accepted to university), but my question is that would it hurt my med-school application if I cannot get any shadowing experience, since it is completely illegal here in Canada? I plan on applying to some American schools when that time comes around.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd like to know about this as well; I can never really find a clear answer.

We may be able to get clinical experience like you say, but don't most American med schools expect shadowing in particular (in addition to regular clinical experience)? Do they cut us any sort of slack in that regard?
 
I can't believe that medical schools would hold the fact that you can't legally shadow against you.

Just make sure you have other sourses of clinical experience, such as volunteering in an ER, free clinics etc. This should help balance out the fact you are missing shadowing.