Does length of undergrad matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tayb91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten mixed opinions about this from a couple people and was wondering what others thought?
Would admissions look down upon taking a very long time to finish your bachelors degree?
I ask because I was undecided as to what I wanted to do for a long time, took classes here and there, took a semester off at one point and also had to work 32-40 hours a week the entire time I've been in school so support myself and help support family as well.
By the time I finish it will have taken me close to 7-8 years and I am worried
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. It took me around 12 years to finish mine. I was in the military so it was never feasible for me to take more than a class or two at a time. During periods of heavy training or deployments sometimes I had to take breaks altogether. It took a while but I think it shows persistence.

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm I feel like there's a difference between being in the military and just a guy having to work and not knowing what he wanted. Maybe I'm wrong
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Length does not matter.... as long as you have a Bachelor's degree, you've completed the prerequisites needed, your GPA and GRE are competitive, AND you have a great personal statement and LORs then you're good to go. I've been accepted to PT school and I was a Political Science major in which I finished in 5 years rather than 4 (I was partying tooo much) and another 3-4 years to finish the prerequisite courses (didn't take any science courses during my undergrad) and I still was accepted to 2 schools. So in my opinion, no the length does not matter rather the quality of your resume does.

Hey thanks for the reply!
That really puts my mind at ease, I have been worrying a lot that the hard uphill battle im facing going from this point on is going to be for nothing lol

Just another thought for you....I was also on the "long road" in terms of finishing pre reqs and I addressed it directly with a paragraph in my admissions essay. I used that space to paint a picture of all the stuff I was balancing, how I managed, and talked about my continued passion for the career even though I couldn't take a direct path to it.