Does Loyola screen before secondary sent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't recieved the Loyola secondary yet. Do they screen before asking to fill one out?

Members don't see this ad.

loyola screens for "minimum requirements" - what that means, i'm not sure

search for the thread "What schools screen?"

there I posted the list of all schools that screen, along with the percentage of applicants who receive the 2ndaries (if that info was available).

if the listing mentions "out-of-staters only", it means all in-state applicants receive the 2ndary.

;)

I know of someone on SDN that has been rejected by them already w/o a secondary. Not quite sure though what they're screening for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they screened the office said you need over 3.0 gpa and a 24 or over mcat

Originally posted by Explosivo
I know of someone on SDN that has been rejected by them already w/o a secondary. Not quite sure though what they're screening for.

Yeah, that was me....I definitely meet the minimum requirements. I did take the MCAT twice and my first score was not the greatest, so, perhaps that played into it?

Originally posted by buglady

Yeah, that was me....I definitely meet the minimum requirements. I did take the MCAT twice and my first score was not the greatest, so, perhaps that played into it?

Hmm...I'm also an MCAT retaker and my first score was really lousy also but I took the April MCAT this year and did much better. I just got their secondary yesterday. I'm also an Illinois resident so I think they give some preference there. Perhaps they don't screen Illinois residents. But I can't see how they would hold an older MCAT score against you. I know of no school that does that. All that I've seen have stated that they always take the latest set of scores into consideration.

Hey, they take 1/2 the class from Illinois. I'm pretty sure (90% my premed lady said) that they average the scores at Loyola. SO maybe you need a 24 average. but that 24 comes from the office so I'm sure that you need it to get the secondary. I know of someone with a 22 and a 26mcat avg 24 that got the secondary.

some schools actually take the AVERAGE of all MCATs you sit for. it really varies.

Well if they do average they don't come out and say it. I scoured their web site and found little mention of the MCAT. Most schools clearly state in their admissions info that only the latest set of scores are considered.

I think I'll give them a call and ask them today.

once again, i have consulted the PR Big Book on Medical Schools. For Loyola it says,

For applicants who have retaken the exam, the most recent set of scores is weighed most heavily.