Does Loyola screen before secondary sent

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by opus, Aug 22, 2002.

1. opus

opus Member

I haven't recieved the Loyola secondary yet. Do they screen before asking to fill one out?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kathleeya

kathleeya Member

loyola screens for "minimum requirements" - what that means, i'm not sure

search for the thread "What schools screen?"

there I posted the list of all schools that screen, along with the percentage of applicants who receive the 2ndaries (if that info was available).

if the listing mentions "out-of-staters only", it means all in-state applicants receive the 2ndary.

;)

4. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

I know of someone on SDN that has been rejected by them already w/o a secondary. Not quite sure though what they're screening for.

5. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Member

Last year they screened the office said you need over 3.0 gpa and a 24 or over mcat

6. buglady

buglady We need more cowbell

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, that was me....I definitely meet the minimum requirements. I did take the MCAT twice and my first score was not the greatest, so, perhaps that played into it?

7. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

Hmm...I'm also an MCAT retaker and my first score was really lousy also but I took the April MCAT this year and did much better. I just got their secondary yesterday. I'm also an Illinois resident so I think they give some preference there. Perhaps they don't screen Illinois residents. But I can't see how they would hold an older MCAT score against you. I know of no school that does that. All that I've seen have stated that they always take the latest set of scores into consideration.

8. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Member

Hey, they take 1/2 the class from Illinois. I'm pretty sure (90% my premed lady said) that they average the scores at Loyola. SO maybe you need a 24 average. but that 24 comes from the office so I'm sure that you need it to get the secondary. I know of someone with a 22 and a 26mcat avg 24 that got the secondary.

9. kathleeya

kathleeya Member

some schools actually take the AVERAGE of all MCATs you sit for. it really varies.

10. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

Well if they do average they don't come out and say it. I scoured their web site and found little mention of the MCAT. Most schools clearly state in their admissions info that only the latest set of scores are considered.

I think I'll give them a call and ask them today.

11. kathleeya

kathleeya Member

once again, i have consulted the PR Big Book on Medical Schools. For Loyola it says,