Does LSU accept Out of State apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete415273

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The data says you must be a LA resident to be admitted, but I have heard they might not adhere to this. Any experience with this? Either New Orleans or Shreveport.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the reports I have on them, 100% of their matriculants are Louisiana residents, but admission doesn't HAVE to be exclusively to residents. Obviously they haven't exercised their option to accept OOS.

If you want to apply and have the money, go for it. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Maybe strong ties to the region would help, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have a policy of possibly taking the child of a former grad (grad of the med school, not just the UG), and they slot a spot for OOS MD/PHD applicants...but in either case, it is a very low # (total of 1 or 2 OOS per year), and evidently many or most years these schools are 100 percent in-state...just having "ties" to the state doesn't help...

LSU Shreveport ONLY takes in state applicants, even says so on their site:

Do you accept out of state students? - No.
Since the School of Medicine is subsidized by the State of Louisiana and the number of qualified applicants, admission is limited to Louisiana residents except that two places per year are available for the children of out-of-state alumni and/or out-of-state applicants for the MD-PhD program.

I'll also add that it is a nice school, easier than others to get into if you're in-state, and I am considering going myself.

LSU Shreveport ONLY takes in state applicants, even says so on their site:

Do you accept out of state students? - No.
Since the School of Medicine is subsidized by the State of Louisiana and the number of qualified applicants, admission is limited to Louisiana residents except that two places per year are available for the children of out-of-state alumni and/or out-of-state applicants for the MD-PhD program.

Well...scratching my head...that is EXACTLY what I said...not sure if your post was meant to contradict mine or not (yours does appear right after mine)...if not, nevermind...clearly, they do have a provision to take the occasional OOS applicant who meets the legacy or program pre-req...capped at 2 per year.

I got my info straight from the source - I spoke with the asst dir of admissions at LSU-S med last month...

Chill. I wasn't trying to contradict you, I was just making it known that the school has the info on its site, straight from the horses mouth. I'm not saying you didn't get official info either, but I wanted to post the official copied/pasted stance.