Does major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does what you choose as your major matter for admissions? I am deciding between two majors that are closely related and so that is why I am asking.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

SilverBandCry! said:
Does what you choose as your major matter for admissions? I am deciding between Human Biology, Health and Society or Human Development and so was wondering, would adcoms view one as being a "better major" than the other? (I am interested in both and they are both pretty much related and so that is why I am asking. I wouldn't major in something that I wasn't interested in, just for admissions-sake.)

Thanks!

No.

They typical response to this question is that no, major does not play a role in admissions. It should be noted that most med-school matriculants have majored in the sciences. However, it really doesn't matter which you choose. You certainly can't go wrong with a human biology major though you may be more unique choosing one of the others.
Bottom line: pick the one you enjoy -- it really doesn't make a difference.
G'luck
--WT

Members don't see this ad :)
WildTumor said:
They typical response to this question is that no, major does not play a role in admissions. It should be noted that most med-school matriculants have majored in the sciences. However, it really doesn't matter which you choose. You certainly can't go wrong with a human biology major though you may be more unique choosing one of the others.
Bottom line: pick the one you enjoy -- it really doesn't make a difference.
G'luck
--WT

Thanks

the latter also seems to be more epidemiology, public health type of thing (like MPH stuff)
but it doesnt matter as long as u hit the nail on the prereqs and mcat

SilverBandCry! said:
Does what you choose as your major matter for admissions? I am deciding between Human Biology, Health and Society or Human Development and so was wondering, would adcoms view one as being a "better major" than the other? (I am interested in both and they are both pretty much related and so that is why I am asking. I wouldn't major in something that I wasn't interested in, just for admissions-sake.)

Thanks!

Yes, it is recommended that you have a major

are you going to Cornell?

SilverBandCry! said:
Yeah I will be a junior
then whats the difference? you're already done with the prereqs anyway.

Besides, they'r both bullsh*t majors, so who cares
(I'm about 30 feet from MVR as i'm writing this ;))

geno2568 said:
then whats the difference? you're already done with the prereqs anyway.

Besides, they'r both bullsh*t majors, so who cares
(I'm about 30 feet from MVR as i'm writing this ;))

lol, yeah but I have to declare something

Everyone majors in bio- unless you're in love with bio I'd pic something more original. You'll stand out for picking something that interests you.

Law2Doc said:
Lemmings.
Of the people that actually apply, the non-sci majors tend to do quite well.

I'm majoring in Bio and i dont think i'm a lemming!! sheesh.
do what you love and if that happens to be a "typical science major" then go for it.