Does major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msyaya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entering upon my 6th semester of college and I'm just wondering...
My major was psychology for basically the entirety of my college work butduring the beginning of my sophmore year I decided that I wanted to proceed on to med-school. Should I continue on as a psych student or should I change to the biology course of study? I plan to go into psychaitry and I figured there would eventually be a need for me to know the essence of psych so what do you suggest? I really don't want to have to start all over seeing as how this is my junior year.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

My major was psychology for basically the entirety of my college work butduring the beginning of my sophmore year I decided that I wanted to proceed on to med-school. Should I continue on as a psych student or should I change to the biology course of study? I plan to go into psychaitry and I figured there would eventually be a need for me to know the essence of psych so what do you suggest? I really don't want to have to start all over seeing as how this is my junior year.:confused:

I would suggest that you stay the course. Take the necessary prereqs, but don't change your major to biology unless you really want to change your major. If you are enjoying your classes, and enjoying studying psychology...keep going. A lot of this has to do with numbers...i.e. your GPA. What I would suggest is look for courses that will meld the two together, i.e. physiological psychology, gerontology, neuroscience, etc.

Your major doesn't really matter for med school admissions (as long as you do the prereqs). Do what you enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I was told by someone that I would need physics, is this true? I thought I just needed biology, inorganic and organic chem and calc. Right now I'm in the midst of abnormal psych, 400 inoganic chem and lab and sociology. I was wondering if maybe I should take some summer courses of physics because I didn't plan on takin the course, but I will if neccessary. Also, seeing as how I only have one more year of undergrad, do you think I should begin studying for the MCAT? Every time I think about buying the informatives I get a little nervous.

Thanks for the replies. I was told by someone that I would need physics, is this true? I thought I just needed biology, inorganic and organic chem and calc. Right now I'm in the midst of abnormal psych, 400 inoganic chem and lab and sociology. I was wondering if maybe I should take some summer courses of physics because I didn't plan on takin the course, but I will if neccessary. Also, seeing as how I only have one more year of undergrad, do you think I should begin studying for the MCAT? Every time I think about buying the informatives I get a little nervous.

Oh my yes you need physics do not take the MCAT without at least physics 101,

have you looked at the requirements of some schools? you may need biochem to

You need two semesters of physics. No point thinking about the MCAT until you take that. You may not need calc at all schools but will generally need two semesters of "math". You also are going to need a year of English. As the prior poster indicated, a very small handful of schools also require biochem (but most don't).

Your choice of major won't matter. Just make sure you do well in it, and your prereqs. I'm a history major myself, and I just got accepted to LSUNO. :)

Basically you need:
1 year of gen bio with labs
1 year of gen chem with labs
1 year of o chem with labs
1 year of general physics with labs
1 year of college math

You don't really need a year of calc except for a couple of schools. some require statistics.

I do have to agree, however... do NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES take the MCAT without physics!!!

And good luck. :luck:

OH - and no, major doesn't matter. Except that you major in something you like.