Does majoring in biochemistry help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbruinz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After talking to some people who made it into top 10 med schools, it seems that a lot of them majored in biochemistry. Does majoring in this give an applicant an advantage? Granted, these people had 3.9+ GPAs. Or is the game still determined by GPA regardless of major?

Members don't see this ad.

zbruinz said:
After talking to some people who made it into top 10 med schools, it seems that a lot of them majored in biochemistry. Does majoring in this give an applicant an advantage? Granted, these people had 3.9+ GPAs. Or is the game still determined by GPA regardless of major?

I don't know much about "big 10" schools but all medical schools will accept any major as long as you complete all pre-matriculation/pre-med requirements. Many schools actually look favorably on people who majored in diverse fields as it makes them more well rounded applicants. I have a friend who is a spanish major intending pre-med who always gets good feedback from medical schools during application for her unique major.

Just my 2 cents.

of course, a biochem major is like gold in the eyes of adcom

Members don't see this ad :)
zbruinz said:

Your major doesn't matter too much as long as you have good GPA, MCAT, and ECs.

zbruinz said:

It doesn't matter what your major is.

I'm a biochem major myself at U of M. Don't pick a major because you think it's what looks good. What looks good to an adcom is a student with a good GPA and is outstanding in what he/she does. Biochem happenned to be what I was good at (changed from Spanish - I learned I couldn't write a Spanish essay in college), but you should pick a major that you love, can get good grades in, and will be able to excel in.

ADeadLois said:
It doesn't matter what your major is.

Solid EC's, solid requirements, good MCAT, good person... Your major doesn't define you as a person, why should it define you as a physician?

But, do it if you like biochemistry (it's pretty cool.)

Do it if you enjoy biochemistry. Biochemistry is one of the subjects that you'll be taking in medical school, so it'll serve you well then.

No one really acted like they cared that I had a Biochemistry major or even that I had doubled majored in Chemisty and Biology for that matter. People cared about my MCAT score, my GPA, my research, my volunteering, my references, and my undergrad.

I loved Biochemistry and definitely recommend it.