Does May 15th apply to MD/PhD?

Started by DeadCactus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DeadCactus

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm accepted to an MD program and still under consideration for the MD/PhD program at the school. I'm also waitlisted at my top-choice MD/PhD program. Just curious if May 15th may bring some hope to me...
 
I'm accepted to an MD program and still under consideration for the MD/PhD program at the school. I'm also waitlisted at my top-choice MD/PhD program. Just curious if May 15th may bring some hope to me...

It depends on the MD/PhD program. AAMC traffic rules require admitted students to any type of MD program (including MD/PhD) with matriculation after July 30 to only hold one offer of acceptance after May 15. Therefore, for MD/PhD applicants, the May 15 deadline to decide is applicable if the school does not require a summer rotation before beginning medical school. If matriculation is on or before July 30 (as is the case with MD/PhD programs that require a summer rotation before medical school classes begin), admitted students must hold only one offer of acceptance after April 15.

I believe that will change next year (it will change eventually, I think they'll adopt some sort of May 1 compromise--if you google "aamc traffic rules md/phd" you get a PDF file of a presentation given by the cornell MSTP director). However, for this year, the old rules apply. So the question is, which schools are you waiting on? Find out if they have a summer rotation requirement, and if they don't, then the days just after May 15 might be very good for you.