Does MCAT an GPA even matter that much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think so...you stated that you thought they used the wrong word; i gave you two definitions, and then i said they meant obtuse. you think they meant abstruse because they said that they were "impressed with your writing skills"...i doubt it. If they were impressed but didn't understand it they would reject you??? please. That was a nice way of putting, your essay just doesn't make any sense, and it sucks

Members don't see this ad.

What Im bitter about here is that I got rejected due to the adcoms being dumb. Their dumbness hurt me. I was not rejected due to lack of merit, but instead due to the mental feebleness of those that reviewed my application.
Well, while my own primary essay was probably not the greatest either (I suspect this hurt my chances at many places), I was complimented on my writing at an interview for a school where I wrote a few extra essays for their secondary.

And those essays didn't use complex language, nor were they high concept. They just happened to have a lot of heart in them (almost to a cheesy level, but it was genuine so I went with it).

Personally I think using huge words tends to ruin the heart of an essay, so maybe you're the dumb one for not realizing that the feelings about a person that come across in an essay may be more important than how fancily written it is.

But seriously, lose the attitude. I don't go around whining about how all these people with inferior stats have a billion acceptances while I have none so it must be the evil adcoms out to get me. I can actually accept that I have some weaknesses with my application and I made a few mistakes this time around, and if I don't get in this cycle I'll address them next cycle. Just because I know I'm smart doesn't mean that I go around thinking I'm the king of the world, since being smart is only part of the equation.

And seriously, most med students are smart anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
The arrogance is strong in this one. Little hope of acceptance I see.

Adcom members read thousands of personal statements. They don't have the time to break out the dictionary so that they can interpret your PS. It is your job to make it easy to read.

A key skill a doctor should have is being able to communicate with his/her audience. If Noah Webster was on an adcom, your personal statement might have gotten better reviews.

Adcom members read thousands of personal statements. They don't have the time to break out the dictionary so that they can interpret your PS. It is your job to make it easy to read.

Yeah, the AMCAS PS is not exactly the occasion to imitate the writing styles of James Joyce or to attempt to redefine post-post-modernism. Even a potential future classmate who is dumber than the OP, like me, knows that:p

Arrogant people have problems--they constantly have to put everyone down to feel better about themselves. But want to know something-- (this goes for everybody on the thread)? You know the feeling that you get when somebody is being condescending and arrogant? It doesn't feel pleasent at all.This unpleasent feeling actually gives you insight into the inner world of how that arrogant person feels about themselves. When somebody takes out their anger/frustraton/sadness etc. it's nothing personal but an inner expression of the self. I've known some arrogant folks and they are not happy people. They just spread their inner feelings of malcontent onto others because guess what? Misery looooves company. Anyways, all I can say is that there is no point in bashing the OP further because he/she has more than enough issues to deal with. If he/she was at peace with themselves, there would be no need to express themselves in such a negative fashion/ judge the abilities of classmates they have never met before. I understand that I am making an assumption about the OP's character, but he/she has made statements from which people can draw conclusions. In the end, I suppose there is nothing wrong with being arrogant--some people respect snobs and arrogance-- it's just a matter of perception. However, med schools don't particularly like that trait.......

hmmm...from reading this thread I think the adcoms should have added "slow learner" and "does not learn from her own mistakes" to the reasons they rejected you :lol:

hi,

Sorry, rejection letters are never pleasant. I have to agree with most of the posters though, you are quite pretentious. Some more wisdom, not knowledge, might give you some perspective to not need to rate and compare people by dumb/smart. BTW, knowing a language skill = knowledge, not wisdom.

I would definitely work on your attitude. Arrogance is unwelcome by everyone, including adcoms. Even if you're convinced that you're more intelligent than most people, since you weren't accepted, you are now human like everyone else. This is good because patients want a doctor who is human, not an a$$hole. Ask your advisor for honest advice about your essays. They may be too complex, too indirect, too "obtuse".

I dont think Im smarter than everyone. That would in fact be arrogant. I am also aware though that I will be smarter than a majority of my future classmates. Additionally, I dont believe that my life holds any more inherent value than someone dumber than me. Whether I happen to be smarter than a particular classmate or not will not its self cause me to treat them poorly or well.

What Im bitter about here is that I got rejected due to the adcoms being dumb. Their dumbness hurt me. I was not rejected due to lack of merit, but instead due to the mental feebleness of those that reviewed my application.

No you didn't. You got rejected because your application wasn't good enough. Trust me, I've been there. What you need to do is stop blaming other people for your inadaquecies and start figuring out what you can do to improve for the next application cycle.

*By the way, when you interview next year for med schools, they will ask you why you think you didn't get in. Saying that the adcoms were being dumb is probably not a good explanation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with an IQ above 110 will know to always give application committees what they want to hear... assuming you want to get in.

The fatal flaw in your logic is that people who assume they know what adcoms want to hear are rarely correct. It is difficult, if not impossible, for a 20 year old to put themselves in the shoes of a 50-something clinician, scientist and/or dean who has to cull through hundreds to thousands of applications to select those that are "interview-worthy". This is true no matter what IQ we are talking about -- raw aptitude rarely gives you that kind of insight. Literally thousands of people write essays about vague notions of how they want to "help people", or how their appendectomy in the fifth grade led to a calling to medicine, apparently assuming that is what adcoms want to hear. It likely isn't. They want to hear about the individual applicant, what makes them unique, perhaps what progression of events in their life is really driving their interest toward being a clinician.

To the OP -- there are probably a dozen things in one's app that can make an applicant fail to get interviews. GPA and MCAT are but two. People get sidelined by essays, LORs, lack of certain experiences, etc. Med schools expect to be "wowed" in multiple aspects of the app, not just numerical. And even the best applicants tend not to get interviews at every school they apply to -- the notion of "good fit" is something you simply will not be able to get a good handle on without knowing what folks are looking for (beyond the numbers) and the backgrounds and experiences of whomever else the school is already contemplating interviewing. Schools tend to have an idea from past experience of what the ideal composition of their med school class will look like (based not only on numbers, but experiences, backgrounds, etc.).

FWIW, the fact that you feel the adcoms are dumb suggests you might not be a good fit at their school -- since to some extent they are interviewing for future colleagues, and these kinds of sentiments tend to be mutual.

I dont think Im smarter than everyone. That would in fact be arrogant. I am also aware though that I will be smarter than a majority of my future classmates. Additionally, I dont believe that my life holds any more inherent value than someone dumber than me. Whether I happen to be smarter than a particular classmate or not will not its self cause me to treat them poorly or well.

Truth be told, your failure during this application season may very well not have been due solely to somewhat incomprehensible essay. If your personality in it came off in any way in the manner it has in this thread, that is going to sink your application faster than a cake convention next door to a Weight Watcher's convention. In otherwords, you're extremely pretentious, arrogant, entitled, and you don't seem like you play well with others at all-- these are qualities that make good doctors.

You may be highly intelligent for all I know-- I've never met you. You may very well have a higher IQ than the majority of your future classmates. But 45 mcats and 4.0 gpas go straight out the window when the qualitative evidence of a good, competent physician are not there. You need to be able to listen to your patients and your colleagues and respect their opinions, you need to be able to communicate with them without being condescending, be able to show compassion, and put the needs of many others far before yourself. Medicine is a service-- you're not entitled to anything. The only people who are entitled to anything in this "business" (for lack of a better word; perhaps you can help me out on that one) are the patients. They're entitled to everything.

It's not about being the smartest person in the class, it's about being the best doctor that you can possibly be-- and the MD behind your name may not happen at all unless you drop the attitude.

The other thing I would be concerned about if I were you, is your letters of recommendation. How many bridges have you burned with your previous professors? Have you let your superior tendencies come across to them in your interactions? Because if you have, that's going to sink you too. You said that the UIowa was an auto-invite, which means that they didn't review your application prior to invitation. That's not a good sign for the future.

Just out of curiosity-- why medicine? I just don't understand why you would want to enter a field that serves other people all day?

This is too easy.

Really? Most of them will have gotten into medical school on their first try. Who will the smarter ones be then? And just how good are your stats? You haven't shared them yet. There are plenty of folks on here with high 40 MCAT scores and 4.0s, and they were accepted, even with their superior intellects.

And are they dumber than you, really? First off, the word "dumb" seems awfully below anyone of such supposedly high academic caliber. Second, they've earned their PhD.s and M.D.s. Do you even have your Bachelor's yet?

Aside from the humility and arrogance issues that others have brought up, probably the other large lesson to learn from this is responsibility issues. I've seen it time and time again where a fellow classmate receives poor grades and blames it on a "stupid" or "dumb" professor. The only person to blame for a poor grade, or in your sorry case a rejection from every medical school they applied to, is you. Medical school admissions, like college coursework, is a game. The intelligent succesfull, and true "mega cool" ones learn the rules and play by them. It is only the "dumb" applicants who don't bother to learn the rules or heed them.

Welp, there are my two cents. See you on the hospital floor when you give up and go nursing.

Now this essay, you weren't going for an e e cummings approach, were you? Now that would be obtuse.

save
d
(dea
d.African
babes)
dozens

since
kindergarten.always
doctor.tobe.wanted

OP, what you need to lose is the sense of entitlement. The adcoms don't 'owe' you anything, regardless of how great the numerical side of your application may be. If you have the numbers you say you do, then obviously that's not the weak point. Your stats are more a gateway to an interview than the deciding factor in admissions. Good luck and lose the attitude. Some people are naturally humble, others are compelled to be so.

i dont think so...you stated that you thought they used the wrong word; i gave you two definitions, and then i said they meant obtuse. you think they meant abstruse because they said that they were "impressed with your writing skills"...i doubt it. If they were impressed but didn't understand it they would reject you??? please. That was a nice way of putting, your essay just doesn't make any sense, and it sucks

you have only put it in partial context. try again.

Its interesting to see just how hypocritical everyone here is. At the same time that they are lambasting me for being aware of my intelligence and stating it they themselves are essentially doing the same.

Is it hurting your huge ego to hear me say that Im smarter than the majority of doctors? Its interesting to see that the same people that preach that doctors arent the smartest people in the world and that it takes more than intelligence to be a doctor are the ones most offended when someone says that doctors arent as smart as them.

At least I am honest about how I see things and do not pretend to be righteous or pious or humble like most of you. You are a bunch of frauds, and I bet most of you arent even self aware enough to realize it.

You know it's bad when HumbleMD has to lecture you about arrogance and and the need for humility.:laugh:

Are you? FYI, everyone who's accepted to med school feels this way. You're not smarter than your future classmates, bc your future classmates have the same qualifications as you. If their grades are lower, their MCAT's are higher OR their EC's and "personality" (LOR's, PS, and interviews) are better. Or vice versa. You're smart, but not smartER. In fact, in all likelihood, you're AS SMART as your future classmates.

As far as your PS goes, I had a great English TA my freshman year of college who taught me a lot about writing. Using complex phrases, long words, and obscure references MUST be well timed and appropriate. If not, they will only serve to obfuscate your audience. This will leave them feeling like you're either a) arrogant, or b) you sat down, wrote an essay, and hit "thesaurus" on MS Word for every word (in which case you just come off as dumb).

Calm down, getting rejected sucks. If you have the stats, you should be okay. Just take a look at your essay, review what seems confusing, arrogant, etc, and rewrite it. Let your passion for medicine shine through. Let them know that you genuinely want to be a doctor, and not just impress them with your big words. They'll no you're qualified by looking at your numbers. They'll know you care by reading your essay.

And please lose the attitude, we're talking about med school, here. Everyone's brilliant. And likewise, when you do finally get in, and you fail your first test, it doesn't mean you're dumber than everyone else either. Best of luck.

i know i too am prosecuted for bein much smarter than all of the doctors and scientiests in the world so i feel your pain. like they said though yor personal statement is obese so if you fix that you should get in and then you can show them all a thing or too :thumbup:. best of luck to you :D solidarity!

You say that we're threatened and have "hurt egos" by your awareness of your superior intellect? No. You have no idea what you're talking about. You've never been to medical school and have never met your "future classmates." They're all as smart as you. They may or may not have as good grades, but they are just as smart. Who's smarter, the 4.0 40 or the 3.8 35 who's spent 4 years working in an emergency room and knows how to do an LP, trach, drain a knee, and do a pelvic? The point is that there's a lot of factors that go into being "smart" when it comes to med school admissions. I'm sorry you had to come to this realization in this way, but in the end, I think you'll be a better doctor for it.

Over the course of my undergrad career Ive had several classmates and friends that have gone on to medical school. This has given me a reasonable idea of the type of caliber of intellect to expect from the average med student. Its nothing exceptional. :rolleyes: Honestly, the only people that I have ever been impressed by were a couple people going on to phd programs.

Oh and I dont mean to say that some doctors arent impressively smart. I mean that the great majority of them arent.

It is apparent to me that you are definitely smarter than everyone else on here. I don't have a clue why those dumn adcoms rejected you. It is, of course, their loss. Just reapply the next cycle and maybe you will get some not dumb adcoms reviewing you application. At your interview, you and your interviewers can laugh at the stupidity of all the other adcoms in the world. I think you are using the proper strategy here to get accepted to medical school, you just need to find an adcom smart enough to see that.

Over the course of my undergrad career Ive had several classmates and friends that have gone on to medical school. This has given me a reasonable idea of the type of caliber of intellect to expect from the average med student. Its nothing exceptional. :rolleyes: Honestly, the only people that I have ever been impressed by were a couple people going on to phd programs.

Well why did they get in? Maybe you should ask them how to improve your application.

I lilke how now you're degrading your friends who were successful in the process. Way to stay classy.

So n=7? Great study.

The number one adjustment that most medstudents have to make when they arrive at medschool is that despite all their previous and vast experience of being the creme de la creme suddenly they are not that exceptional. Sure a few will rise to the creme de la creme de la creme but statistically, even being your brilliant self, this probably isn't you. If it is you thats great, but sitting in pre-allo on SDN with no acceptance in hand and declaring that you will be this kid is beyond arrogant. Almost everyone I've met in medschool is exceptional and has always been exceptional, and yet we all end up struggling together. Medschool is a whole new beast, until you have at least sparred with her once, I'd suggest you humble yourself before her.

I'm very sorry for all the trouble you had this cycle. You should know, though, that your 3.8 GPA and a 32 MCAT really isn't going to attract much attention at any schools -- in fact, the MCAT score is actually below the average of many med schools these days. If your PS showed an inability to communicate (despite or perhaps because of your grandiose vocabulary), then you're really setting yourself up for failure.

Excessive writing is also my downfall. I remember the first draft of my PS was completely obnoxious when I initially wrote it, so I spent almost 2 months sitting on it, passing it through dozens of readers, and finally getting it into much more readable and meaningful form. That's what it takes to be a good writer. Pick up any of the greatest essays or novels of all time and you're not going to find the kind of verbiage that makes your brain hurt. Any schmo with a thesaurus can use big words; it's applying finesse to everyday words to communicate great ideas that makes for quality writing.

Good luck next time around, and hopefully you can learn from this experience. I think the reason you're getting flamed here is because you do not seem to have as good of an idea as you think you do about what kind of students are getting into med school. I, personally, am terrified that I am going to be the designated idiot of the class. But then that's just me.

Its interesting to see just how hypocritical everyone here is. At the same time that they are lambasting me for being aware of my intelligence and stating it they themselves are essentially doing the same.

Is it hurting your huge ego to hear me say that Im smarter than the majority of doctors? Its interesting to see that the same people that preach that doctors arent the smartest people in the world and that it takes more than intelligence to be a doctor are the ones most offended when someone says that doctors arent as smart as them.

At least I am honest about how I see things and do not pretend to be righteous or pious or humble like most of you. You are a bunch of frauds, and I bet most of you arent even self aware enough to realize it.

Look, you just don't get it. IF you really are as intelligent as you claim to be, then you would have played the admissions game the way all those stupider future classmates of yours did and would have gotten in. The fact is that you didn't get in, despite your presumably good numbers. Remember that a lot of the people posting in this thread got into top medical schools, so I don't exactly see why they are hypocritical.

And one more thing. To say that you are smarter than most people in med school is just plain stupid. I consider myself to be pretty damn smart, but from what I've seen there are some pretty f$cking brilliant people in all areas of academia.

I just saw the post above mine. A 32 MCAT/ 3.8 GPA hardly warrant your excessive claims.

I can understand you being bitter about not getting in. But if you want to ever get in, you should listen to basically everyone in this thread and make some adjustments in your approach.

First, it could be that your personal statement was incredible by literary standards, but the AMCAS application is not the place to get super creative. Your best bet with the personal statement is to conform to the expected standards and more or less write a cliche essay with a couple of personal stories here and there. Going on a limb can work, but obviously in your case it didn't.

Second, even if you really are smarter than God, for your own good, PLAY THE GAME, and show a little humility. For starters, I would suggest doing 5 sets of 10 "I'm dumber than most people" before going to bed every night.

I hope that you learn from your mistakes. Good luck next year.

Oh and I dont mean to say that some doctors arent impressively smart. I mean that I'll be impressively smart. My patients will worship my intellect and ignore my execrable personal skills. Chuck Norris has nothing on me!

I think this is what you meant to say....

You know it's bad when HumbleMD has to lecture you about arrogance and and the need for humility.:laugh:

No joke.

Megacool, I was thinking it's interesting that you're comparing yourself to doctors when you've failed at even aspiring to be one.

The Bitter Bus is pulling out of the station ... ALL ABOARD!:banana:

3.8 and a 32?

The 3.8 is nice but you say that med schools don't look favorably at it because of your undergrad institution.

32 MCAT? Thats a nice score, but nothing to be overly arrogant about. The way you speak I thought you had at least a 36 or somthing.

I hate to break it to you but a lot of people have a 3.8GPA and 32 MCAT. You are not as special as you think.

3.8 and a 32?

The 3.8 is nice but you say that med schools don't look favorably at it because of your undergrad institution.

32 MCAT? Thats a nice score, but nothing to be overly arrogant about. The way you speak I thought you had at least a 36 or somthing.

I hate to break it to you but a lot of people have a 3.8GPA and 32 MCAT. You are not as special as you think.

I thought this dude had a 5.0/47V. Guess not.

You may be very intelligent. You may very well end up being the top dog in your med school class. Thats fantastic but you've got to get into med school first. I don't have a problem admitting that you are probably smarter than me. Your numbers are better, you have more clinical/research experience, and since I'm a terrible writer, nearly anyone's PS was probably better than mine. So why am I in med school? I'm not positive, but it was probably due to a fantastic interview. Some body liked me. :)
To a certain extent, all your numbers mean to the adcomm is that you can succeed in your first two years of med school. Thats an important thing and so numbers are used to weed out people that might struggle. In addition to wanting you to make it through your pre-clinical years, they want to pick people who they want to be at the school. They need to like you. So be likeable. We all have aspects of our persona that can be improved. I certainly do. Try to become a better, more likeable person. Get input from others who know you. (we obviously don't).

Is it hurting your huge ego to hear me say that Im smarter than the majority of doctors?

obvious problems with us "hearing" anything you "say" on an internet forum aside, I could "say" that I have an 18" cock that weighs 4.5lbs, but I doubt it would make anyone feel inadequate because it's unsubstantiated. You could "say" you're the smartest person on the planet and still be a complete idiot, as you've demonstrated here, of all places.

I'm smarter than you. Try and make me prove it, if you're so smart. Ha! Suck my paradox, biotch.

3.8 and a 32?

the mcat is heavily dependent on how much one studies. i was working 50 hours a week the summer i took the mcat. its not an iq test. its not even the gre. why do you think there are huge prep courses for it? most people could not have scored a 32 with the amount of prep that i did. i never even took a full practice test.

I'm smarter than you. Try and make me prove it, if you're so smart. Ha! Suck my paradox, biotch.

I even went so far as to put it in my profile so everyone can see it. If you ever took Social Psychology, you'll know that "saying is believing". :smuggrin:

Alright, I say this thread should be closed. Any more posting couldn't help. If the OP hasn't gotten the point by now, then it's hopeless.

Alright, I say this thread should be closed. Any more posting couldn't help. If the OP hasn't gotten the point by now, then it's hopeless.

you assume that we're here to help :smuggrin:

the mcat is heavily dependent on how much one studies. i was working 50 hours a week the summer i took the mcat. its not an iq test. its not even the gre. why do you think there are huge prep courses for it? most people could not have scored a 32 with the amount of prep that i did. i never even took a full practice test.

Again you make a blanket statement for which you are the only exception. The amount of studying required for a solid performance on the MCAT depends on a person's background, innate intellect, etc. No concept on the MCAT is so difficult (abstruse, perhaps?) that the average test taker couldn't figure it out. That's why the discretes are often considered free points. The trick to MCAT is learning how to read the complicated passages, not get overwhelmed by the extraneous information, and tease out what they're really asking.

-z

you assume that we're here to help :smuggrin:

I'd hope so... this thread is quickly turning into a bunch of vultures picking at some dying creature. Wait, there might be a smiley to convey this:

:beat:

Again you make a blanket statement for which you are the only exception. The amount of studying required for a solid performance on the MCAT depends on a person's background, innate intellect, etc. No concept on the MCAT is so difficult (abstruse, perhaps?) that the average test taker couldn't figure it out. That's why the discretes are often considered free points. The trick to MCAT is learning how to read the complicated passages, not get overwhelmed by the extraneous information, and tease out what they're really asking.

-z

you forgot emotionally distressing other premeds during prime study hours and passive-aggressively eroding the spirits of fellow test takers in your examination room.

you forgot emotionally distressing other premeds during prime study hours and passive-aggressively eroding the spirits of fellow test takers in your examination room.

Of course, those are important tactics too... :idea:

-z

take a look at the mcat forum. you will see plenty of proof that most people wont score 32 or higher without much prep.

I think we can forget about your numbers. That was the initial question right? Your numbers aren't what are keeping you out of med school. So, to answer your question, MCAT and GPA don't count THAT much.
Something else prevented you from getting acceptances this year. Its up to you to figure out what that something else was. Do you have a premed advisor that knows you well enough to give you a good opinion? Maybe you can let them read your personal statement.

take a look at the mcat forum. you will see plenty of proof that most people wont score 32 or higher without much prep.

I'm finished entertaining your wild and baseless rants. You didn't get into medical school. That is not our problem, not the AdComs' problem, not the problem of those who got in instead of you.

Several people here (more than you deserve) have tried to give you constructive advice to help you get what you say you want next year. Instead of thanking them and really trying to see what you can do to improve your chances, you opted to sit here and bait people with your ridiculous obstinance.

We're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.