Does med school include your upper division science classes grades for science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iAero

Reaction score
Maybe this sounds as a stupid question, however, I am confused.
First I thought, they count the science GPA based on the classes they require you to take before coming to med schools such as general chem, Ochem, bio, stats, and etc. However, if someone is doing a biochemistry undergrad, and took physical chemistry, do they include those(pchem, and so on) upper division Science classes grades for science GPA for med school admission?

Members don't see this ad.

First I thought, they count the science GPA based on the classes they require you to take before coming to med schools such as general chem, Ochem, bio, stats, and etc. However, if someone is doing a biochemistry undergrad, and took physical chemistry, do they include those(pchem, and so on) upper division Science classes grades for science GPA for med school admission?
Yes, all of those count towards s GPA - not just the pre-reqs!

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, all of those count towards s GPA - not just the pre-reqs!

okay, thank you! I have a pre-req S'GPA of 3.84 and I am about to take my upper division classes as a biochem undergrad. I believe that upper division science classes and p-chem will bring my science GPA down. I am in doubt whether to change my major as this is gonna worry me a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
okay, thank you! I have a pre-req S'GPA of 3.84 and I am about to take my upper division classes as a biochem undergrad. I believe that upper division science classes and p-chem will bring my science GPA down. I am in doubt whether to change my major as this is gonna worry me a lot.

Do not change it. Upper level courses aren't anymore difficult than the "lower level." They're just more focused on a specific subject and often make you think of concepts instead of memorizing a bunch of facts. As for biochem specifically, it is a huge part of the MCAT and knowing it inside and out will be a huge benefit. Also, I was a bio major with a chem minor for my first degree and Ochem 2 was the hardest class.

Do not change it. Upper level courses aren't anymore difficult than the "lower level." They're just more focused on a specific subject and often make you think of concepts instead of memorizing a bunch of facts. As for biochem specifically, it is a huge part of the MCAT and knowing it inside and out will be a huge benefit. Also, I was a bio major with a chem minor for my first degree and Ochem 2 was the hardest class.

Agreed. Do not change it. Those are hard classes and your grade is expected to dip a little bit. Work hard and get at least a B, which I think is very possible given your already successful GPA.

Have fun with pchem, just squeaked out with an A- and to this day I have no idea what was taught.

Reactions: 1 users
Have fun with pchem, just squeaked out with an A- and to this day I have no idea what was taught.
really? were you good at physics?
My Ochem professor said she still doesn't understand some parts even though she passes the p-chem class with a B-.

A in both semesters of Gen physics, calculus, diffeq, orgo and genchem. Doing well in those is no indicator of success in pchem, as it requires all of them put together at a higher difficulty than tested in the base class.