Does med student "away" logic apply to externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FosterWallace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read this online: "People don’t realize that very few people actually match at their aways. You have to have every single person like you—residents and attendings—every single moment. Unless you’re a universally liked person like a Tom Hanks or Betty White, that’s almost impossible to do. One bad comment and you’re sunk. Most often they will choose that perfect person on paper over the imperfect person they got to know over the month." and people saying that when youre on an away the residents and faculty are looking for reasons not rank you lol.

In your experience, does this apply to omfs externships?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No. Many many many people match somewhere they externed. Don’t over think it.

Read this online: "People don’t realize that very few people actually match at their aways. You have to have every single person like you—residents and attendings—every single moment. Unless you’re a universally liked person like a Tom Hanks or Betty White, that’s almost impossible to do. One bad comment and you’re sunk. Most often they will choose that perfect person on paper over the imperfect person they got to know over the month." and people saying that when youre on an away the residents and faculty are looking for reasons not rank you lol.

Med school aways are a few weeks to a few months long so there’s more opportunity to show your true colors/make a mistake. OS externships are much easier to be the ideal candidate for as most are only one week, from what I’ve heard its usually a net positive for most programs that you came and they’re not focused on a silly dental student comment (all externs say dumb stuff just don’t butt in constantly and have social awareness). Although 2 programs I heard on the trail that only interviewed one extern this year were VCU and Carle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can only talk about our program...

A few D4's come and work in one small part of our operation as an "away" most years.
To date, all the visiting D4's that have expressed an interest in our program have been accepted into our program.

Don’t be annoying, don’t be weird, get an understanding of the program you’re externing at, that’s it. Externships hold close to nothing in terms of importance for applicant competitiveness.

Last edited:

There’s an old adage in omfs circles.
If you want to match at a program, don’t extern there, or if you do, make sure you do some other externships first.

I know strong applicants who matched at great programs but they didn’t even get an invite to the program they externed at.

Obviously this is an over generalization and can be utterly dismissed in many instances.

There’s an old adage in omfs circles.
If you want to match at a program, don’t extern there, or if you do, make sure you do some other externships first.

I know strong applicants who matched at great programs but they didn’t even get an invite to the program they externed at.

Obviously this is an over generalization and can be utterly dismissed in many instances.

Anyone else have similar experiences to this? I’m really interested in finding out if this is the case. I always thought externing at a program showed them you’re interested in them and that was a good thing?

Anyone else have similar experiences to this? I’m really interested in finding out if this is the case. I always thought externing at a program showed them you’re interested in them and that was a good thing?
Plenty of good externs who came to my program matched there. It all depends on the applicant.
It is a good thing to extern at a program you’re interested in.

I know a couple programs either require you have externed there to receive an interview, or they generally always interview their externs. So externing generally helps you more than it can hurt you, from what I can tell. Just practice your best judgment while you are there.

Reactions: 1 user