OMFS externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roadtodmd1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How closely do program directors look at OMFS externships? I am currently a third year, and have not yet taken the CBSE but my GPA is a 3.45 and my class rank is around 50%. Will program directors look negatively on this and not take students seriously during externships?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

How closely do program directors look at OMFS externships? I am currently a third year, and have not yet taken the CBSE but my GPA is a 3.45 and my class rank is around 50%. Will program directors look negatively on this and not take students seriously during externships?
Thank you

I guess it is the chicken or the egg kind of question

With great CBSE score, you are taken more seriously during externship

But also without externship under your belt, you may not be taken seriously during application/interviews (even with a decent cbse score) because externship will help you to be remembered by the faculty and residents above you whether or not you will fit in

I say get externing right away and try to get in on CBSE mode

Only time will tell whether your efforts were fruitful

Reactions: 1 user
Did seven (week long) of them. Sacrificed my vacations and personal time to get them in. Flew all over the country too. Scored well on the CBSE which I’m sure got me in the door, but always had the PDs impressed that I was willing to spend that much time, and inevitably money, to experience multiple programs. They go further than you think.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do as many externships as possible. If you are dead set on a region, focus on that region. If you apply broadly, extern coast-to-coast. I also found the caliber of program you extern at somewhat important (Mayo, NYU, Parkland)

Reactions: 1 user
At our program, we don’t care what you got on the CBSE or your GPA. Unless it’s during the application cycle or interview season, you’re just some student hanging out with us.

I am a current PGY-1 at LSU New Orleans. Externships are an essential portion of your application as they demonstrate interest in the field of OMFS and offer an opportunity for you to learn from individuals that will likely be career-long colleagues. Your experience as an extern will also set you up for success as a resident.

Feel free to check out what our program has to offer: