Does my non-traditional background make up for crappy GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bouddha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, here goes.

I'm nearly 30, married, and have a daughter. I am at my 8th college, thanks mostly to attending different colleges while in the Air Force. I spent 6 years in the Air Force where I achieved the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-5), and had the operational title of Lead Meteorologist at my last assignment. I think this and additional things from my resume show excellent leadership experience.

My degrees include:

Associates in Weather Technology
Associates in Government with Certification in Counter-Terrorism Fundamentals.

I will graduate with a BA in Government and a BS in Biology.

My current cGPA is ~3.05
sGPA is ~3.8
I expect my MCAT to be as high as mid-30s

I didn't decide to pursue med school til about 1 1/2 years ago, after a kind of crash and burn in the lib arts arena. Ever since switching over, I have been a new student.

So why do I want to be a doctor? After fighting to make the world a better place through politics (I staffed a congressional campaign), I realized that I could do a much better job of it one person at a time. I decided the best way to do this would be through medicine. I have always had an interest in this as well, but for one reason or another didn't pursue it until now.

Other factors 100-150 hours shadowing (ER/Surgery/Derm)
Spent a summer volunteering for One Laptop per Child in Nepal
Was on the Ski Patrol in Alaska which required outdoor emergency care certification
Numerous other community service gigs.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No, but you certainly have a chance. This is because of your really high sGPA. However, many screens will toss out your app based on computerized cGPA screening.

I suggest considering the DO option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't assume you can get a mid-30s.

Something like 7% of applicants get a 35 or above.

Everyone assumes they are one of that 7%...until they take it