Does my step 2 help/hurt/neutral?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhmocksuhsillen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scored 241 on step 1, 248 on step 2. I know going up is a good thing obviously...but my percentile went down.

Do PD's just look at raw score or will they consider my percentile and view this as a drop?

Is 248 a decent score? I'm having a hard time figuring this out.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's fine, depending on what you are applying for and the rest of your app I don't think it will hurt you in the scheme of things

ETA: lol, sorry, didn't realize this was in the psych subforum

Last edited:
I would not be concerned about these scores at all for psych. Now focus on getting strong LORs and clinical evals as those will likely play a greater role than your (solid) Step scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's fine, depending on what you are applying for and the rest of your app I don't think it will hurt you in the scheme of things

ETA: lol, sorry, didn't realize this was in the psych subforum

Yeah definitely applying psych.

Neutral-good. You're in that solidly high range where they're not going to care about your scores and will be focused on everything else.

Help. few look at percentiles when there are hundreds of apps to sort through. Most admissions committees have a general idea that 240s is a great score for psych and also your step 2 is higher than step 1.

Neurotic much?
What Moose A Moose is saying is that you are way overthinking this. The odds of a PD recognizing that a step II of 248 being not as high a percentage of a step I 241 is absurd. They are both good scores and that is as far as anyone will think this. I know this is high stakes for you, but you really need to chill out and calm down or you are going to get an ulcer half way through interviews. You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users