Does non-interview part of the interview day matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaporfly3000

Reaction score
The days are just so long. Introduction, presentation, interview, group activities, student ambassador. Is it fine if I treat the non interview parts more casually like drink water, take off my blazer, bathroom run etc.

Members don't see this ad.

The days are just so long. Introduction, presentation, interview, group activities, student ambassador. Is it fine if I treat the non interview parts more casually like drink water, take off my blazer, bathroom run etc.
I know tour guides are asked to evaluate students as well. If you yawn your way through interview day it will definitely come up later during their discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are overthinking this.

Taking off your blazer should be fine as long as the rest of your clothes stays on. You can change into more comfortable shoes when you have a one hour walking tour, but not flip flops if you go into a lab. Within reason you can "dress down".

You can drink water. You can go to the bathroom. We may even give you bathroom breaks. We won't force you to eat grubs. This isn't Survivor even if you are in that mindset. Ask the admissions team.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Jacket off might be odd if you’re the only one unless it’s unreasonably warm.
Bathroom is fine. Obviously try to pick a good time.

Reactions: 1 user
The adcoms might not see it but the students running the tours and Q&A will notice and trust me they report back everything. If it is truly shocking behavior it may raise a red flag but water, being comfortable and bathroom breaks will not cause you to be denied. During breakfast or lunch the students will often tell people to be comfortable and take off jackets or loosen ties. Some even removed their ties so as not to spill anything on them. Everyone knows how stressful the day can be.

Reactions: 1 users