Does not being able to attend a social night impact you?

Started by 011110
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

011110

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you are unable to attend a social night prior to the residency interview are you going to be negatively impacted in getting into the program? Thanks
 
im not 100 on this but i believe it does. you should plan on going to social night. from the time the plane lands, you are on the interview until you leave.
 
It depends on the program director. If he/she likes you, you'll get in no matter what. There was a candidate, who was very late for his interview at my program due to a flight delay (he's a foreign grad and flew in from another country). Obviously, he didn't show up for a social event a night before. And he still got accepted to my program. He's a year below me. He was very good at research and published 2-3 papers.

When I applied, I had to cancel the interview at Montifiore ortho program (a 3-year program) because they required me to be there on both Friday and Saturday. I already had an interview at another 2-year program on that same Friday. I am glad it was the right decision because I later got accepted to this 2-year program, which offered a MS degree without having to take the GRE.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends on the program director. If he/she likes you, you'll get in no matter what. There was a candidate, who was very late for his interview at my program due to a flight delay (he's a foreign grad and flew in from another country). Obviously, he didn't show up for a social event a night before. And he still got accepted to my program. He's a year below me. He was very good at research and published 2-3 papers.

When I applied, I had to cancel the interview at Montifiore ortho program (a 3-year program) because they required me to be there on both Friday and Saturday. I already had an interview at another 2-year program on that same Friday. I am glad it was the right decision because I later got accepted to this 2-year program, which offered a MS degree without having to take the GRE.


Come on Charlestweed. Montefiore pays a nice stipend. 🙂
 
Come on Charlestweed. Montefiore pays a nice stipend. 🙂
Don’t you find the pathway to become an orthodontist ridiculously long? There’s no reason to waste and live poor another year by choosing a 3yr program over a 2yr one. Even a more expensive NYU program (which used to be a 2yr program) would be higher on my rank list than this 3yr Montefiore program.

Many students in my class got accepted to dental school without a BS degree and they only spent 3 years in undergrad. I regret for not doing this and save another year. I didn’t have a real job with a 6-figure income until I was 29 years old.
 
Don’t you find the pathway to become an orthodontist ridiculously long? There’s no reason to waste and live poor another year by choosing a 3yr program over a 2yr one. Even a more expensive NYU program (which used to be a 2yr program) would be higher on my rank list than this 3yr Montefiore program.

Many students in my class got accepted to dental school without a BS degree and they only spent 3 years in undergrad. I regret for not doing this and save another year. I didn’t have a real job with a 6-figure income until I was 29 years old.

smh. oh Lawd.
 
Don’t you find the pathway to become an orthodontist ridiculously long? There’s no reason to waste and live poor another year by choosing a 3yr program over a 2yr one. Even a more expensive NYU program (which used to be a 2yr program) would be higher on my rank list than this 3yr Montefiore program.

Many students in my class got accepted to dental school without a BS degree and they only spent 3 years in undergrad. I regret for not doing this and save another year. I didn’t have a real job with a 6-figure income until I was 29 years old.

Yes but with orthodontic programs so competitive these days, one should be grateful to get into ANY program! 🙂
 
I agree. I felt really sad that I had to miss the interview at Montefiore due to scheduling conflict. Fortunately, I got an acceptance.


I went to Montefiore when it was a two year certificate program. Right after I graduated .... they went to 3 years. The generous stipend did not exist prior to my arrival. My class was the 1st to receive it. So, I was lucky when it was 2 yrs only and I got paid. win-win.
 
I didn't go to the social of the program I matched at-- I had externed there though. One of my co-residents also didn't go to the social (also externed there).
 
I went to Montefiore when it was a two year certificate program. Right after I graduated .... they went to 3 years. The generous stipend did not exist prior to my arrival. My class was the 1st to receive it. So, I was lucky when it was 2 yrs only and I got paid. win-win.

Here now ;p. 3 years, $60k stipend, but $25k in "tuition" (think it's $35k for upcoming class)... even the hospitals are getting on the tuition game hah.
 
Speaking for my program, it will not hurt your chances but if you do attend it can help you a lot. Typically applicants seem more nervous on the day of the interview. The social give you the opportunity to show us who your are. It can only help you. But most programs do understand that the application process is expensive and difficult and if you are unable to attend it should not be held against you.