Regret not doing dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ascent23510

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2nd year resident in IM here. I regret not doing dentistry. I was incredibly passionate about the entrepreneurial side of dentistry before I ruled it out because of how expensive dental school was. My family would have helped pay ~200K for it but I would still have come out in 250-300+ debt so I opted to go to a cheap med school and not have debt.

But I regret it so much. There is so much better opportunities to be your own boss as a dentist. It’s not easy and takes so much work but it’s so worth it. The financial aspect shakes me to my core too. I’ve asked around plenty and owners I’ve spoken to are typically taking home $400-500K+ after overhead. The work life balance is amazing too. Being on call, showing up to the hospital at 5 am every day is killing me.

I know dentistry isn’t a walk in the park. It’s super hard on your body and it can be very tiring work. But I think I would have enjoyed working with my hands. Everyone assumes that if you’re in med school you just get to pick the specialty you want and you stroll in. I put in countless amount of effort into trying to match into ENT and I couldn’t make it. Had the scores, research and everything but at the end of the day, there’s only so few residency spots.

The biggest eye opener for me lately has been money. Owner dentists have a huge ceiling and I have yet to talk to one that’s making less than 350K$. As an internist, I will be a W-2 worker unless I start a practice which is stupidly difficult in medicine these days. I know a few docs that say it’s not even profitable or worth it to do so anymore.

I regret not going into dentistry. I would have pushed to be an owner and build something passionately. I’m not naive and understand that Dentistry isn’t all sunshine and roses and has its own unique challenges.

My peers who are dentists are already scouting practices to purchase 3-4 years out from school. They have older dentists willing to sell and mentor them. They work 4 days a week. No call, no 5 am starts, and no take home work. Most of all they will outearn 80% of medical specialties as sucessful owners.

I could do a fellowship in cards or GI but it’s so insanely competitive , especially when you factor in IMGs applying for the same spots. Medicine is a path to W-2 slavery and I’m sad I didn’t pursue dentistry. I tried to match into a specialty where I could work with my hands but had to go to my backup specialty that I dual applied with. I wish I could go back. The earning potential coupled with lifestyle and ability to build something of your own is unparalleled in dentistry.
 
Hello Dentists of SDN,

I am in a predicament. I’m at a crossroads and wouldn’t be asking this without doing as much research before hand.

One year ago I was accepted into a DO school in PA where I deferred by a year. The reason I deferred was because there were some doubts creeping up about doing a career in medicine. I shadowed a few physicians who seemed extremely entrenched in their work and it made me look for an alternative.

I chose to shadow a few dentists in my area running their own practices. They seemed very laid back and were doing financially well. I decided to apply to Dental schools and got accepted to Case Western. I still have my acceptance for the med school in PA and now have been undecided on what to commit to.

The things I like about medicine:

-Flexibility in what you can go into
-Benefits from hospital systems (paid time off/ insurance, etc)
-Less Debt
-High base pay

The things I don’t like:

-The length of training, especially residency
-The stress of Boards and matching into a specialty
-How busy you are in general. More hours at work constantly
- Harder to start/ run a practice

The things I like about Dentistry are:

-Working with hands
-Precise work
-Less hours
- Running a practice more feasible/ higher earning ceiling

The things I dislike about Dentistry are:

-Potential back/neck issues
-Feels like you have to sell to your patients sometimes from what I’ve seen
-Insane levels of debt
-Working on teeth doesn’t entice me as much but I’m not against it or anything

My end goal is to help people but also do a job that doesn’t wear me out but at the same time also gives me fulfillment. I don’t have a burning passion for Dentistry or medicine in particular to the point where I can only see myself doing one. Truth be told: I want to work at a job where I make good income, have a good lifestyle, am respected, and can work with a team in. I don’t want to be too burnt out but am willing to work very hard to be successful.

I did consider other careers, worked in a few different fields but felt unfulfilled. I am now at a crossroads to take my life to the next level but am torn on which path to take.

The biggest thing off putting about medicine is the stress and burn out rate from hours worked. I’m scared I won’t be able to raise a healthy family while in that field. My biggest disturbance about Dentistry is the sheer amount of predatory debt I may be in when I graduate.

I may find true fulfillment in medicine but I also think running my own dental practice and building up to that can also be very fulfilling.

I’m at a crossroads and really need input as to what path to take. I’ve shadowed both paths and dentistry definitely seems like the nicer, more laid back profession. However the dentists I shadowed were incredibly successful making 300-400K + as owners. Is Dentistry something I should pursue or is a DO medical degree the better alternative? I have to decide by the end of the week so any advice is appreciated.

Both fields are difficult in their own ways and are vastly different in many ways. If you were in my shoes what would you do?
Per this post a year ago, you are at most an M1 right now.