Does not getting an interview invite right away mean bad things lie ahead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
chewsnuffles said:
Although I heard of someone who got a 41 getting mad interviews, and just as many rejections becasue their personailty was compleatly cross-wired.

Once you break through a certain threshold, it's personality driven. Someone with a 33 and an affable personality will beat out a pompous 36 every time.

Members don't see this ad.

Law2Doc said:
Adcoms are composed of human beings, and are largely composed of a pretty homogeneous group (well educated; physicians and PhDs and Deans at academic medical facilities). And we have a pretty good idea of their ultimate mission -- to put together a "good fit" class of highly qualified individuals. So one could put together a profile of them and guestimate their probably actions much like the FBI does when tracking serial killers. However you would need some algorithm of what constitutes a "good fit" for each particular school (eg. X% scientists, Y% nontrads, Z% in state, W% URM, etc), a sense of the subjective personality decisions they are making regarding candidates (eg. John Smith is brilliant but too much of an introvert, so we are passing on him) and a sense of the range of credentials they are seeing in the applicant pool. And then you would need to take into account that there are many variations of personality on each adcom, homogeneity notwithstanding. So it would be conceivable to understand and even predict adcoms, but would probably take a team of psychologists and a pretty good mainframe computer devoted to the task.
But imagine the money you could make from SDN'ers if you assembled such a team and could give people realistic answers to the persistent "what are my chances" questions. :laugh:
People also used to think that you could predict the future of the universe if you only knew what every particle in it was doing. I'm not sure that I buy that reductionist approach for med school admissions, either. But if you do somehow manage to pull it off, I'd love to buy stock in your endeavor. :D

QofQuimica said:
People also used to think that you could predict the future of the universe if you only knew what every particle in it was doing. I'm not sure that I buy that reductionist approach for med school admissions, either. But if you do somehow manage to pull it off, I'd love to buy stock in your endeavor. :D

The machinations of a dozen people at each of 120 some odd schools is significantly more finite than the future of the universe. It could be done, at least to an extent that would provide statistically significant estimates. But who has the time...

Members don't see this ad :)
MiesVanDerMom said:
So I submitted my secondaries very quickly, like the day they came out. And now people are beginning to get interviews at some of my schools and I am not among them. Is it a very bad sign if you're complete and then don't get an interview invite within a certain number of weeks?

I dont think so. For one, the season just started so the adcom are also probably still taking it slow and easy. From my personal experience, this past cycle, i interviewed on the very last day at NYU even though i was waitlisted, i got a call asking if i was still interested but i said no since i had gotten accepted at ucsf which was top of my list. If i was still interested, i would have gotten accepted.
Just to let you know, it does not matter if you dont get an invite right away. good luck

I am starting to get worried now about all the schools I submitted early to with so many interviews being sent out. I hope us average people get some love later.