Does number of credits per semester matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

ryouland

Hi,

Does it matter how many credits you take per semester (as long as you graduate and get all the classes in)?

If I can get higher grades (while doing the volunteering, etc. expected) and put off taking as many geneds as possible till senior year, after I've been accepted/rejected from med school should I do that? Or do med schools look down on that?

I'm talking 13 vs 16 credits for a few semesters.

I took summer classes in order to do that this year (soph) and it's worked out well so far, I just dont want to look like I'm lazy or whatever.

Thanks for any advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this coming up for any applicant... ever.

Don't worry about this at all. Obsess about other things, instead! :D

It is best to take medium loads such as 15 or 16 hours....only take more if you can handle it...if you only take 12 or 13 it might raise some concerns at schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Does it matter how many credits you take per semester (as long as you graduate and get all the classes in)?

If I can get higher grades (while doing the volunteering, etc. expected) and put off taking as many geneds as possible till senior year, after I've been accepted/rejected from med school should I do that? Or do med schools look down on that?

I'm talking 13 vs 16 credits for a few semesters.

I took summer classes in order to do that this year (soph) and it's worked out well so far, I just dont want to look like I'm lazy or whatever.

Thanks for any advice!!

I think it could come up in the situation where you were taking 12 credits or less, and doing nothing else. And if you were being compared to somebody who took a full load, or somebody who worked or had other obligations and also had a high gpa. Probably a real minor factor. Just have something to show for your time, or else a top gpa.

I'm a Biomedical Engineering major, I'm volunteer at a hospital and also through Big Brothers/ Big Sisters and participate in volunteer things offered through the College of Engineering.

I also plan on doing research this summer, and possibly in the fall I want to pick up being Supplemental Instruction teacher, basically a discussion TA for an Inorganic Chem I or II class.

I took a sem of 17 credits (all engineering/premed classes) and got a 3.86 which a little lower than my cumulative gpa, but it shows I can handle it... I'd just rather have free time and be able to volunteer and do things I enjoy.

Is this okay?

Some take only 4 credits...does that look bad? Anyone can say that they work full time yada yada yada, but there isn't really anything to prove that.

I would say the least you should take is the minimum number of credits to be considered full-time at your school. At mine it's 12 credits. Otherwise, if you have fewer credits one semester, you might want to have a great explanation ready (full time job, research, family issues, etc.)

Some take only 4 credits...does that look bad? Anyone can say that they work full time yada yada yada, but there isn't really anything to prove that.

good point nycfella.

It is best to take medium loads such as 15 or 16 hours....only take more if you can handle it...if you only take 12 or 13 it might raise some concerns at schools
I've never heard of it actually raising any concerns, but you don't want to take TOO long to graduate. 14+ credits per semester should be fine, but I had one 12 cr. and one 13 cr. semester. Most of the others were 16-17.

I'll definitely graduate in four years. I took summer classes and now I'm ahead and If I put off taking two gen eds till senior year I can take 4 semesters of 13 credits (I'm on my second right now)... In which case I'd take 16 each sem senior year. If i took 16 Junior year, i'd take two sem's of 13 senior year... get it?

I'd like to do Junior year with 13 credits per semester so I can be totally ready for MCAT, and also do some TA type work in chem classes, but I don't want to look like I'm lazy and all I can handle is 13 credits.