Does NYU really drop students??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocky21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is this rumor I keep hearing of NYU dropping students. They matriculate ~260 students and then 125 foriegn grads. come in the 2nd year. How come only ~230 actually graduated last year???? Where did all the rest of the students go???

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by politicallyRite
Nobody drops anyone; you drop yourself.

*drops Rocky21*

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i've heard, NYU accepts a lot of students that wouldn't have been able to get into other dental schools anyways (in addition to many qualified students).

the students who are dropped wouldn't have cut it at other schools either.

it's actually a smart thing that NYU does to make money. unethical, maybe. but smart, absolutely.

Originally posted by Jone
actually a smart thing that NYU does to make money. unethical...

... and Darn Outrageous! :laugh:

I think part of the reason they are dropped is because they have to compete grade-wise with advanced standing students.........it's kinda like a grad student taking an intro bio course in uncergrad.

Originally posted by Doggie
I think part of the reason they are dropped is because they have to compete grade-wise with advanced standing students.........it's kinda like a grad student taking an intro bio course in uncergrad.

I heard the advanced standing students aren't all that. What I heard was that you have to fail more than 3 subjects in a semester and then fail one of them during remediation to get dismissed. The student I spoke to basically said that if you can't manage that, then you really shouldn't be a dentist.

Still, what the school did was wrong. They should screen better before they admit students and then stick with them until they graduate.

don't blame the school. you control your own destiny. they can only do so much. come on, fail 3 classes and can't get pass the remediation, you should seriously consider other professions. this is professional school, you're not in ur first year of undergrad. anymore.

Originally posted by politicallyRite
don't blame the school. you control your own destiny. they can only do so much. come on, fail 3 classes and can't get pass the remediation, you should seriously consider other professions.

True, but there are two sides to every coin.

They shouldn't admit students who can't muster the grades nor stamina to succeed. After all, that is why there are grade cutoffs as well as DAT cutoffs at most schools.

Although it may be argued that adcoms can't tell whether or not a student can succeed, I don't find that to be a very compelling argument.

The adcoms have every right to reject a student from admissions--not to crush the student's hopes of entering the profession but to protect the student from amassing large amounts of loan debt and then being forced to pay that back without obtainment of the advanced degree they were seeking.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

They shouldn't admit students who can't muster the grades nor stamina to succeed. After all, that is why there are grade cutoffs as well as DAT cutoffs at most schools.

there is no such thing called grade cutoffs, otherwise Yah-E (under 3.0 club CEO) couldn't be where he's at right now, not to mention he also got in other schools. many schools clearly state on their website that there is no grade or DAT cutoffs, of course they would prefer applicants with high GPA and DAT.
it seems that the OP doesn't have anything to do with NYU. there is no need for another NYU thread....there are many existing threads about this dropping issue. Bashing another school doesn't make your school look better.

I gotta agree with Politicallyrite... The student is in full control of his/her own destiny during the first two years when it's all didactics.

NYU might accept students with somewhat lower stats than many schools, but so do Howard and Meharry. But I haven't heard much complaints about Howard or Meharry students being sub-par in their studies or being poor dentists when they graduate.

The way I see it, NYU gives a student a chance to enter the profession when most other schools wouldn't, and it's up to the student to carpe diem and make the effort to succeed. As far as I'm concerned, any student who flunks out of NYU needs to bear their own responsibility for squandering the opportunity.

In addition, Advanced Standing students do NOT enter the program until after 2nd year-- Freshmen and sophomores have NO ONE competing against them but themselves.

This "flunking students out to make money" theory is utter nonsense. NYU stands to make more money if a student stays in for all four years, pays the entire $250K tuition bill AND generate fees collectible from patients by working in the clinics during upperclassmen years. If NYU can collect upwards of $300K from a a student who makes it to graduation, why intentionally flunk a student out after collecting just a measly $70K?

Originally posted by UBTom

In addition, Advanced Standing students do NOT enter the program until after 2nd year-- Freshmen and sophomores have NO ONE competing against them but themselves.

Actually, at NYU the AP students come in at the begining of the second year. It makes a lot more difficult to be the best in the class. It seems a little unfair to compete with AP students who have scored 85% and above on NBDE I (required for entry) and a little strange why advanced placement students must take pathology and micro all over again when they have already passed part I. I guess that's a good question to ask faculty when you go for an interview (i'm sure it has something to do with money, but they will never say that..haha but it would be nice to hear what kind of excuse they give)

It's definitely a challenge for the 4 year students but the bright side of it is that the four year students are on a different ranking. So you compete with your fellow 4 year classmates in terms of class rankings, OKU selection, etc.

Just thought I'd clear it up, otherwise UBTom and the rest are right on the money.

Also, as a second year at NYU I notice at times the students who were here last year but not this year. It defintely keeps me on my toes and makes me realize that I control my own fate. I guess you can call it motivation or fear or whatever. Just do you work and you'll be fine, this really shouldn't be an issue for anyone who knows when to study and when to party.

Originally posted by Apoptosis
Actually, at NYU the AP students come in at the begining of the second year. It makes a lot more difficult to be the best in the class. It seems a little unfair to compete with AP students who have scored 85% and above on NBDE I (required for entry) and a little strange why advanced placement students must take pathology and micro all over again when they have already passed part I. I guess that's a good question to ask faculty when you go for an interview (i'm sure it has something to do with money, but they will never say that..haha but it would be nice to hear what kind of excuse they give)

It's definitely a challenge for the 4 year students but the bright side of it is that the four year students are on a different ranking. So you compete with your fellow 4 year classmates in terms of class rankings, OKU selection, etc.

Just thought I'd clear it up, otherwise UBTom and the rest are right on the money.

Also, as a second year at NYU I notice at times the students who were here last year but not this year. It defintely keeps me on my toes and makes me realize that I control my own fate. I guess you can call it motivation or fear or whatever. Just do you work and you'll be fine, this really shouldn't be an issue for anyone who knows when to study and when to party.

I heard that they want to switch to seperate curves for AP and Regular students, is that true?

Originally posted by sxr71
I heard that they want to switch to seperate curves for AP and Regular students, is that true?

Yeah, we wanted to. Personally, I think it won't make any difference at all. Dean Speilman (student affairs) assured us that there is no remarkable difference in separate curves.

The reason why this is even brought up is that 4 year students are required to take the "kaplan" board review classes while advanced standing, as they have already have finished part I don't have to take it and will have more time to study, blah blah, etc.

Originally posted by Apoptosis
Yeah, we wanted to. Personally, I think it won't make any difference at all. Dean Speilman (student affairs) assured us that there is no remarkable difference in separate curves.

The reason why this is even brought up is that 4 year students are required to take the "kaplan" board review classes while advanced standing, as they have already have finished part I don't have to take it and will have more time to study, blah blah, etc.

I heard something along those lines, and that's why I mentioned that the AP students were not as competitive as they might seem to be. Your post confirms my sources.