Does One Need Straight A's To Get Into Med School From A Post Bac?

Started by wclubin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wclubin said:
I have been going at the post bac for the last few years, and I think I am doing well, but I don't have straight A's and I was wondering if my chances of getting into med school from here are exremely diminished. My grades are

I have A's in
Both of the Gen Chems and the labs
Both of the Gen Phusics and the labs
Bio 1 and lab (the bio with genetics and conepts in it)
English I
Bioinformatics

Where I deviate from straight A's is the following:
Orgo I B-
Orgo I lab B
Bio 2 B (the bio with all the memorization of the phylums ect....)
Bio 2 lab A-

So what do you think? Do I still have a good shot at getting into med school?

Thanks for all your help.


yes you can get in. just try not to get anything lower than a B in both physics classes as well as labs nor in orgo 2. of course it all depends on your mcat scores too plus a few ec's
 
wclubin said:
I have been going at the post bac for the last few years, and I think I am doing well, but I don't have straight A's and I was wondering if my chances of getting into med school from here are exremely diminished. My grades are

I have A's in
Both of the Gen Chems and the labs
Both of the Gen Phusics and the labs
Bio 1 and lab (the bio with genetics and conepts in it)
English I
Bioinformatics

Where I deviate from straight A's is the following:
Orgo I B-
Orgo I lab B
Bio 2 B (the bio with all the memorization of the phylums ect....)
Bio 2 lab A-

So what do you think? Do I still have a good shot at getting into med school?

Thanks for all your help.
It depends a lot on your undergrad grades. If you are doing a postbac to rehabilitate, then you want "mostly A's", and things like the B- may hurt you. If you have a decent undergrad GPA and are just taking the sciences after having never taken any, then you are probably fine.
As the prior poster indicated, you will want to do well on your MCAT, and bear in mind that numerical stats are only part of the equation, and folks with even stellar numerical stats (GPAs, MCAT) can still hit hurdles if the rest of their app is not strong, and folks with very strong ECs and interviewing skills can sometimes overcome certain numerical glitches. After certain cut-offs, schools really do look at the whole package.
 
u need to be on par with the rest of medical students. However, its all dependent on many other factors. Particularly, if you were in an SMP post-bac, i think its necessary to get really strong B+ and above grades, since its one of the last life lines for many students vying to get into medical school.