Does Ortho Assistant count as shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flarika

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked as an Orthodontic Assistant for 6 months. Would that count as shadowing for dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes because orthodontists are dentists. However, please be aware that schools would prefer shadowing hours be with a GP too since this would give you a better understanding of what it's like to be a dentist.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes because orthodontists are dentists. However, please be aware that schools would prefer shadowing hours be with a GP too since this would give you a better understanding of what it's like to be a dentist.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as an Orthodontic Assistant for 6 months. Would that count as shadowing for dental school?
I'm in the same boat as you, I have 550 hours of assisting at an ortho office and only about 15 hours shadowing in GP. I hope this is enough general hours but I feel that assisting has taught me more than shadowing has.

I'd get a few more hours tha 15. Relative that's low. I think half of your hours should be with your GP. However because u worked at an ortho office that's different. I'd try to have 40+ GP hours. You're first gonna be a dentist!

They don't but it's still espouse and it counts for something.
But he's right I'd make time to just shadow (not emplyoed)

It's definitely useful just make sure you have some shadowing as well. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you received compensation for those hours, it's not supposed to count as shadowing hours. Check the school websites under their "Application Process" or "Admissions" tabs. Some of mine explicitly stated that payed for hours do not count as shadowing (since it's a job experience). Assisting is a beneficial addition to the application, but I wouldn't necessarily call it shadowing. When in doubt, call the school. And the others are correct that schools prefer general dentist shadowing.