Does ortho require brute force/ power ? How hard or stressful is it physically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bertino

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a short guy . I imagine ortho procedures require lots of pushing pulling applying force. It kinda scares me . Even though i have interested in ortho and the way it restores funtions. I also like the fixing / mechanical repair aspect. But i dont want to end up doing something that i am unable to. Your suggestions?
I havent seen many procedures but a fractured tibia where orthopod was pushing in a nail/ rod (excuse any misnomer).
P.S .( I am not in US)

Members don't see this ad.

Very few things require brute force. We see all sizes, shapes, genders in ortho and all do well. The meathead stereotype is real but not universal and definitely not required to be successful.
Thanks for the input. I guess we work so hard for the medical degree that we dont want to make the mastake of wrong field. I will give it some thought. Dont know if i will be happy treating chronic illnesses like hypertension.
Very few things require brute force. We see all sizes, shapes, genders in ortho and all do well. The meathead stereotype is real but not universal and definitely not required to be successful.
Doctor, I do have mild tremors when i am nervous or anxious. is it a bad idea to chose surgical specialty? have you seen such people in surgical specialty? Honest answer would be nice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone has a bit of a tremor at times. You will most likely be able to control it normally and do well within a surgical specialty if that is where you end up during training. If it becomes pathologic or negatively effecting how you feel about the specialty you will likely naturally sway towards a non-surgical specialty

Reactions: 1 user
Do you lift bro?
qkejpxeezfg31.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users