does p/f med education limit competitiveness?

Started by dulop
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dulop

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm considering a medical school that goes by a strictly P/F system, no hidden rankings, etc. I don't consider myself to be a gunner, but do think I'll be gearing towards a more competitive residency..hence my post in this forum. I'm curious if a med school that has such a grading system, tending not to distinguish outstanding student from those that are marginally passing, will limit my competitiveness to enter a difficult specialty? I mean, will solid board scores, research experience, and recs carry me through fine or will I have to work that much harder, or do that much better in those areas in order to compete with someone who excelled at a school with a more stratified grading system? thanks for your help.
 
The reputation of the school is likely more important than the grading system or ranking. There are places on the application to mark that your school has no ranking and/or it has no AOA (honor society).

Your step 1 score, letters of recommendation, research experience, and clerkship performance will be more important. Many schools are pass/fail now (at least in the first two years).