You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
does pharmacy residency = higher pay? higher paying opportunities?
Started by plsfoldthx
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
im curious as to the reason behind pursuing residencies or acquiring fellowships.. as opposed to just going to work and making a great living?
Why are you curious as a "medical student"? I can only post the content of a previous post to illustrate what opportunities are afforded via post-graduate training. "Making a great living" is one hundred percent subjective by the way:
William Evans, Pharm.D
http://www.cancer.gov/researchandfunding/MERIT/Evans (realizing you probably have no clue what a MERIT award is, but you can ask around in the medical crowds if you like; however, most of the physicians you ask will have NEVER been awarded one, let alone two)
http://stjude.org/stjude/v/index.js...rl=search_results.jsp&QueryText=william evans (I mean, he just runs one of the most prestigious pediatric cancer hospitals in the world)
Brian Erstad, Pharm.D.
http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/news/uViewNewsItem.php?NewsID=165 (just named BEDSIDE clinician of the year by the most well known critical care society in the nation)
William Figg, Pharm.D.
http://ccr.cancer.gov/staff/staff.asp?profileid=5728
Here is a list of his SELECTED publications: http://ccr.cancer.gov/staff/publications.asp?profileid=5728 (yep, 390 of them, you may catch him some day Doctor)
Milap Nahata, Pharm.D.
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/iomnahata.htm (recently elected to the Institute of Medicine, I think that is an important group. This guy must have tremendous spatula handling skills)
Hai Tran, Pharm.D.
http://www.mdanderson.org/departmen...ayfull&pn=462da41e-59ad-11d5-812100508b603a14
Mary Relling, Pharm.D
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/inde...nnel=3a1ebfe82e118010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/inde...ueryText=mary relling journal of the american (just a little article in JAMA last week, no big deal, for her, that is)
Gilbert Burkart, Pharm.D.
http://www.fda.gov/commissionersfellowships/burckart_bio.html
Jere Goyan, Ph.D.
http://today.ucsf.edu/stories/former-pharmacy-dean-and-head-of-fda-jere-goyan-has-died/ (Just the Commissioner of Food and Drugs, nothing special)
Jim Hayslett, Pharm.D.
http://www.cdc.gov/EIS/about/hayslett.htm (they sent a Pharmacist to investigate the anthrax scare? The CDC must have thought his experience with tablet dust was critical to the case)
I guess I will just stick with my lowly Pharm.D. and residency training for the time being.....
Last edited:
im curious as to the reason behind pursuing residencies or acquiring fellowships.. as opposed to just going to work and making a great living?
He is really sensitive about people questioning the need for residencies...
Pria - easy killer...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why are you curious as a "medical student"? I can only post the content of a previous post to illustrate what opportunities are afforded via post-graduate training. "Making a great living" is one hundred percent subjective by the way:
William Evans, Pharm.D
Mary Relling, Pharm.D
hey..Mary Relling is married to William Evans..That counts for one not two🙂
We had the honor to had both at separate occasions as speakers..Man... what an impression they left on me..makes u so proud 2 b a rxist. Make u realize the sky is the limit if u want to. Dr Relling, especially made me decide if I ever wake up one day and want to do something other than retail it would be a fellowship and get into research/academia.
Yes...kill, Priapism...KILL...
I only chose pre-medical on whim when i registered...
Im deciding whether to apply to pharmacy schools this year or raise my gpa and apply to dental or medical school next year (3.1)... i was just wondering what opportunities residencies open up... and if they are higher paying? is it pretty much for research/academia?
Im deciding whether to apply to pharmacy schools this year or raise my gpa and apply to dental or medical school next year (3.1)... i was just wondering what opportunities residencies open up... and if they are higher paying? is it pretty much for research/academia?
http://pharmafellows.rutgers.edu/partner.php
This is one of the more established fellowships for industry. You can take a look at the opportunities/career paths it provides.
This is one of the more established fellowships for industry. You can take a look at the opportunities/career paths it provides.
He is really sensitive about people questioning the need for residencies...
Pria - easy killer...
I am a sensitive guy, what can I say?
I only chose pre-medical on whim when i registered...
Im deciding whether to apply to pharmacy schools this year or raise my gpa and apply to dental or medical school next year (3.1)... i was just wondering what opportunities residencies open up... and if they are higher paying? is it pretty much for research/academia?
Job satisfaction I think is the biggest...again it is subjective. Some people enjoy working retail and more power to them. It wasn't for me. If a high salary is how you define quality of living then go to retail.
Why are you curious as a "medical student"? I can only post the content of a previous post to illustrate what opportunities are afforded via post-graduate training. "Making a great living" is one hundred percent subjective by the way:
William Evans, Pharm.D
http://www.cancer.gov/researchandfunding/MERIT/Evans (realizing you probably have no clue what a MERIT award is, but you can ask around in the medical crowds if you like; however, most of the physicians you ask will have NEVER been awarded one, let alone two)
http://stjude.org/stjude/v/index.js...rl=search_results.jsp&QueryText=william evans (I mean, he just runs one of the most prestigious pediatric cancer hospitals in the world)
Brian Erstad, Pharm.D.
http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/news/uViewNewsItem.php?NewsID=165 (just named BEDSIDE clinician of the year by the most well known critical care society in the nation)
William Figg, Pharm.D.
http://ccr.cancer.gov/staff/staff.asp?profileid=5728
Here is a list of his SELECTED publications: http://ccr.cancer.gov/staff/publications.asp?profileid=5728 (yep, 390 of them, you may catch him some day Doctor)
Milap Nahata, Pharm.D.
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/iomnahata.htm (recently elected to the Institute of Medicine, I think that is an important group. This guy must have tremendous spatula handling skills)
Hai Tran, Pharm.D.
http://www.mdanderson.org/departmen...ayfull&pn=462da41e-59ad-11d5-812100508b603a14
Mary Relling, Pharm.D
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/inde...nnel=3a1ebfe82e118010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/inde...ueryText=mary relling journal of the american (just a little article in JAMA last week, no big deal, for her, that is)
Gilbert Burkart, Pharm.D.
http://www.fda.gov/commissionersfellowships/burckart_bio.html
Jere Goyan, Ph.D.
http://today.ucsf.edu/stories/former-pharmacy-dean-and-head-of-fda-jere-goyan-has-died/ (Just the Commissioner of Food and Drugs, nothing special)
Jim Hayslett, Pharm.D.
http://www.cdc.gov/EIS/about/hayslett.htm (they sent a Pharmacist to investigate the anthrax scare? The CDC must have thought his experience with tablet dust was critical to the case)
I guess I will just stick with my lowly Pharm.D. and residency training for the time being.....
do you have this post saved in a text file or something to paste onto sdn once a week?
do you have this post saved in a text file or something to paste onto sdn once a week?
No, just know where it is located and am able to retrieve it rapidly. It is rather redundant, I admit, but that is not unlike most of the thread topics on SDN. Reposting it was actually more work than I intended, which I will have to consider in the future, because a lot of the links were broken, which pissed me off.
Retail pharmacy and broken links. Nothing pisses Priapism off more.
im curious as to the reason behind pursuing residencies or acquiring fellowships.. as opposed to just going to work and making a great living?
it opens doors...
while retail may pay the most at the moment when you graduate, if you did a postgrad residency or fellowship, the following may happen:
Residency:
-depending on your specialty, market demand, etc, you can be a clinical pharmacist at a hospital and work great M-F hours... pay may be comparable to retail in the west coast, from the east coast i know that clinical pharmacists aren't as well compensated
Fellowship:
-work in big pharma, have the opportunity to work your way up the ladder
Doing these programs is not by any means a guarantee at a higher paycheck, pharmacy is one of the rare exceptions where the immediate "entry level" community pharmacy or retail job pays the most, but at the same time taking that extra year or two to suck it up with that training will help get you a job with a higher standard of living as well just gives you more opportunities in general.
That's my next career goal. To be inducted into Pri's PharmD Hall of Fame.
Do you let nukyuler people in?
Do you let nukyuler people in?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only chose pre-medical on whim when i registered...
Im deciding whether to apply to pharmacy schools this year or raise my gpa and apply to dental or medical school next year (3.1)... i was just wondering what opportunities residencies open up... and if they are higher paying? is it pretty much for research/academia?
How about raise your GPA anyway, while you're figuring out whether to go to pharmacy school, dental school, or medical school? In choosing your career, I'd worry more about what you ultimately want to do with your life and less what you'll get paid.
I'm not trying to be mean here, but taking the extra time in college and really figuring out what you want to do with your life is better than going through undergrad, some professional school, and then figuring out you want a career change.
I'm switching from molecular biology grad school to pharmacy, and I see all the benefits pharmacists can bring to health care. It just kind of bothers me sometimes that people want to become pharmacists because they view it as being easier than being a doctor or dentist. I guess it can be, but you can also be a half-@$$ doctor or dentist, too.
Alot of institutions will pay 1000-2000 dollars more / year of residency. Some higher than that. It will not make an immediate impact but opens doors for much higher compensation in the future. It all depends on what you do with it. We all know some residency trained pharmacists who come in at 9 ...leave at 3 and dont do squat.
For me it wasnt about money. I want to have the opportunity to do other things outside of pharmacy and being in the hospital at some point and a residency gives me the opportunity for research or admin. I also worked a year straight out of schoool and did not feel that I had the knowledge base that I wanted to be able to make an impact. I wanted to be the one that people paged and called for questions, and not the one calling people.
For me it wasnt about money. I want to have the opportunity to do other things outside of pharmacy and being in the hospital at some point and a residency gives me the opportunity for research or admin. I also worked a year straight out of schoool and did not feel that I had the knowledge base that I wanted to be able to make an impact. I wanted to be the one that people paged and called for questions, and not the one calling people.
How do you find out how competitive a residency is other than contacting the program director specifically?
I am interested in community/ambulatory/clinic based residencies. From the little research I've completed so far it appears that there are less of these residencies than the hospital based ones.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
I am interested in community/ambulatory/clinic based residencies. From the little research I've completed so far it appears that there are less of these residencies than the hospital based ones.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
How do you find out how competitive a residency is other than contacting the program director specifically?
I am interested in community/ambulatory/clinic based residencies. From the little research I've completed so far it appears that there are less of these residencies than the hospital based ones.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
VA hospitals are the big one that offer residencies in ambulatory care. Also, some other ones that are well recognized:
at the U of Minnesota:
http://www.pharmacy.umn.edu/residency/
at University of Colorado
http://www.uchsc.edu/sop/clinicalph...ry_Care-Family_Medicine_Residency_(PGY2).html
affiliated with U of Washington
http://www.prnrx.org/residency/specres_pharm.htm
As you can see there are options for both PGY1 and PGY2. It depends what you want to do and how far you want to go. The only problem with these residencies - I am not sure how easy it is to find a job. The ambulatory pharmacists still have some issues with being reimbursed for their services. So many people who do am care residency especially PGY2 end up working as part-time clinical faculty and part-time in the clinics affiliated with a university. If you want to lend a full-time clinical job right after PGY1 or PGY2 residency with no teaching responsibilities, your best bet would be completing a residency at VA or big non-profit managed care organization such as Kaiser Permanente. Again it all depends on what you want to do.
You might also contact faculty at your school who is involved with ambulatory care, he/she probably will be able to give you even more information than I.
or big non-profit managed care organization such as Kaiser Permanente. Again it all depends on what you want to do.
You might also contact faculty at your school who is involved with ambulatory care, he/she probably will be able to give you even more information than I.
Janeo,
thanks for your thoughts.
I hadn't thought of doing a managed care residency in order to work Am Care, hmm?
Thanks for the links - that Minnesota one looks interesting. I've seen PGY-1 community residencies at Ohio State and UNC as well. I wish I could find out how competitive these are. I've heard the VA ones are pretty competitive.
Last edited:
Janeo,
thanks for your thoughts.
I hadn't thought of doing a managed care residency in order to work Am Care, hmm?
Thanks for the links - that Minnesota one looks interesting. I've seen PGY-1 community residencies at Ohio State and UNC as well. I wish I could find out how competitive these are. I've heard the VA ones are pretty competitive.
I am not sure about their competitiveness. I've hear the same thing about VAs - everyone wants to be there because their system is very progressive for pharmacy practice.
You can also check out this website for more info on residencies:
http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/
If you're motivated by salary, then pursue an MBA. You'll see a higher ROI
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K