Does PharmD curriculum vary from school to school?

Started by deleted390966
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wow I feel ripped off...

In undergrad I took all my notes by hand due to no powerpoint. But it was 7 cents a copy! No free printing.

At Columbia it was 250 pages a semester limit....you print MUCH more notes than 250 pages.

At Mercer it was 10 cents a copy for black and white and 15 cents for color. NO free printing ever.

I never had free printing at any school. 🙄

Haven't you previously said your parents and loans cover all your costs? Are you working to pay your rent with the hot roomies? Or did you make an arrangement? :meanie:
 
Pushing 30 and no hubby yet?

🙁

Oh no!!! Don't get her started...

🙁

Haven't you previously said your parents and loans cover all your costs? Are you working to pay your rent with the hot roomies? Or did you make an arrangement? :meanie:

LOL...My parents paid for my undergrad, dental school and P1 year. I took out loans for P2 and P3 year tuition only and I got some scholarships.

P4 year I took out loans for tuition and an extra 10K for living and my parents are helping a little bit too.

I only work during the summer time. Never during the school year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just think printing a million powerpoint slides a day is a waste of money. Just an opinion. Just like smoking is a waste of money. LOL...

I have no problem writing all notes by hand. I write very fast and have no problem keeping up.
 
Just like smoking is a waste of money. LOL...

Speaking of smoking, I just got a Pneumovax shot and I don't even smoke.

If I could get Gardisil, Menactra, and Zostavax covered with insurance, I'd take them also. Freaking crappy insurance doesn't pay Gardasil since I am a male! I am a vaccine ***** 😛
 
Speaking of smoking, I just got a Pneumovax shot and I don't even smoke.

If I could get Gardisil, Menactra, and Zostavax covered with insurance, I'd take them also. Freaking crappy insurance doesn't pay Gardasil since I am a male! I am a vaccine ***** 😛

I grew up my entire life without any insurance at all and I never had a problem. LOL...

It wasn't until second semester P2 year that I finally got health insurance. The school force it upon me.

It sucked BIG TIME! It covers a little bit of your prescription only....I still have to pay $9 for my birth control b/c they are too cheap to cover it. 🙄 $9 is the CASH price for it. I have to pay full price for my Latisse too.

I am about to use it to see if they will cover my Tazorac cream...most likely very little b/c it sucks so bad!

Insurance is another big WASTE OF MONEY...it's $545 a semseter and I have NEVER use it before and it doesn't even cover my prescriptions.

It doesn't cover flu shots either. WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
That's $1090 a year for NOTHING.

I can buy a new Louis Vuitton bag a year for that much money. WHAT A WASTE. 👎
 
SHC I think it's cute that you think your insurance should cover your Latisse.

Also, if Tazorac is too expensive, there are cheaper options. You must have pretty bad acne if you are still using a retinoid at your age? 🙁

Well I get Latisse for $95 each bottle. It last me like 2 to 3 months...that's $600 a year...I pay them $1090 a year!!! BASTARDS could at least chip in some! 😡

Same with the BC...it's $9 a month or $108 a year...why can't they cover that too?

I just feel ripped off b/c I pay $1090 a year for NOTHING at all. 😡

I use to have acne as a teenager..it was moderate acne 🙁 but it cleared up when I got into my twenties...especially after taking BC I don't get anymore pimples.

However Tazorac is really good for your skin...makes it feel really soft and nice! LOL...I heard it suppose to be good at preventing wrinkles too?

I just use it b/c it makes my skin feel good and soft. :laugh: Thank god I don't have acne anymore....I did when I was a teenager though. 🙄
 
I just feel ripped off b/c I pay $1090 a year for NOTHING at all. 😡

Well, if you ever have appendicitis or get in a car wreck, you will probably be glad you have your insurance. I've (fortunately) never used my house insurance, and I've been paying it for decades....that is how insurance works. It's like a lottery you don't want to win, you pay it, and hope you never actually have to use it. I'm not sure why people expect more from their health insurance, than they would expect from their house, car, or malpractice insurance.
 
Well, if you ever have appendicitis or get in a car wreck, you will probably be glad you have your insurance. I've (fortunately) never used my house insurance, and I've been paying it for decades....that is how insurance works. It's like a lottery you don't want to win, you pay it, and hope you never actually have to use it. I'm not sure why people expect more from their health insurance, than they would expect from their house, car, or malpractice insurance.

Not to mention that $1000/year is cheap health insurance. Probably doesn't cover more than major medical and maybe some office visits. SHC, you could get insurance that could cover more, but you would have to pay for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, if you ever have appendicitis or get in a car wreck, you will probably be glad you have your insurance. I've (fortunately) never used my house insurance, and I've been paying it for decades....that is how insurance works. It's like a lottery you don't want to win, you pay it, and hope you never actually have to use it. I'm not sure why people expect more from their health insurance, than they would expect from their house, car, or malpractice insurance.
Well because health insurance pays for a lot of preventative health care. In fact, they are actively encouraging this now.

But yeah, $1,000/yr is probably a very low end plan, like the one I had myself in school. A full plan is around $5-10k+/year per person. And because my school had all the health professional programs and a teaching clinic, we had to go there for treatment, to get poked and prodded by our fellow students 🙁
 
That is some pretty cheap birth control. Where do you get it for $9 cash price?

Maybe you order it from the internet?

I heard online birth control pills don't work as well. Combined with Tazorac (Preganancy Category X) it could be bad. 😱

Trisprintec and sprintec is $9 a month at Walmart and Target. I don't order anything online.

Just call any Target or Walmart and they will tell you its only $9 for a 30 day supply.

Latisse is $95 b/c the pharmacy manager is my friend

Tazorac is around $260. 🙄 But I hope my sh*tty insurance will pay for some of it...we'll see. :xf:

Oh I don't have to worry about pregnancy at all now...the new guy I am with FLAT OUT refuse to have sex with me without a condom. Maybe he doesn't trust that I take my BC every night? I don't know.
 
I'd go with generic Retin A 0.1% cream the strongest LOL... prevent/mask wrinkles and decently priced

I might try that next time. Thanks.

Well because health insurance pays for a lot of preventative health care. In fact, they are actively encouraging this now.

But yeah, $1,000/yr is probably a very low end plan, like the one I had myself in school. A full plan is around $5-10k+/year per person. And because my school had all the health professional programs and a teaching clinic, we had to go there for treatment, to get poked and prodded by our fellow students 🙁

Luckily when I am out of school I will have a choice to not get insurance if I don't want it....I'll decide on that when I finish school.
 
Oh I don't have to worry about pregnancy at all now...the new guy I am with FLAT OUT refuse to have sex with me without a condom. Maybe he doesn't trust that I take my BC every night? I don't know.

Seems like a smart guy to me!

Luckily when I am out of school I will have a choice to not get insurance if I don't want it....I'll decide on that when I finish school.

Are you sure about that? There's this new law...
 
Seems like a smart guy to me!



Are you sure about that? There's this new law...

How much is the new insurance a year? If it's a reasonable price b/c EVERYONE paids into it then I am fine with that...but 10K a year for insurance? HELL NO...unless I am planning on giving birth or something there is no way I'll want to pay 10K a year for insurance that I will NEVER USE.

I don't know why he won't have sex with me without a condom...either 1) he thinks I will get pregnant on purpose...which is insane cuz he is NOT rich. LOL... or 2) he thinks I have HIV. Which I have papers to prove that I don't...so I don't know what his problem is. 😕

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I can't imagine why any guy aka sugar daddy, would doubt that SHC would take her birth control :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

He is not rich at all. Just good in bed.

The neighbor, or did you meet somebody else?

neighbor
 
How much is the new insurance a year? If it's a reasonable price b/c EVERYONE paids into it then I am fine with that...but 10K a year for insurance? HELL NO...unless I am planning on giving birth or something there is no way I'll want to pay 10K a year for insurance that I will NEVER USE.

I don't know why he won't have sex with me without a condom...either 1) he thinks I will get pregnant on purpose...which is insane cuz he is NOT rich. LOL... or 2) he thinks I have HIV. Which I have papers to prove that I don't...so I don't know what his problem is. 😕


Are you telling me you haven't heard about the insurance thing? REALLY?!?!

And I don't know why he insists on a condom, but he's smart to do so. He might know that BC is not 100% effective, or maybe he thinks you are sleeping with multiple guys and he doesn't want to catch something, or whatever. The better question is why you would care. That condom is protecting you too, you know.
 
Are you telling me you haven't heard about the insurance thing? REALLY?!?!

And I don't know why he insists on a condom, but he's smart to do so. He might know that BC is not 100% effective, or maybe he thinks you are sleeping with multiple guys and he doesn't want to catch something, or whatever. The better question is why you would care. That condom is protecting you too, you know.

Fair enough. Condom it is. 🙄

The only thing I know is that Obama wants to REQUIRE EVERYONE to have health insurance. So everyone will need to have health insurance. I have no idea how much it will cost for me or anything no.

I guess I'll know when I find my first job next year and my employer tells me how much I have to pay for it.
 
Fair enough. Condom it is. 🙄

The only thing I know is that Obama wants to REQUIRE EVERYONE to have health insurance. So everyone will need to have health insurance. I have no idea how much it will cost for me or anything no.

I guess I'll know when I find my first job next year and my employer tells me how much I have to pay for it.

Health insurance is a good thing. Do you really think that you'll never ever get sick, never have an accident, never get pregnant, never get cancer, nothing? I have been hospitalized before where the bill before insurance was $50,000. Would you like to pay cash for that?
 
Health insurance is a good thing. Do you really think that you'll never ever get sick, never have an accident, never get pregnant, never get cancer, nothing? I have been hospitalized before where the bill before insurance was $50,000. Would you like to pay cash for that?

NOPE! :laugh:

I think that part of the law will be that premiums will have to be affordable for everyone.

That's GREAT news!

I think $1000 to $1500 a year is affordable...but I really prefer not paying more than that for it! 🙄

The trick is to make EVERYONE pay $1000 a year for it...if everyone chips in then 1K a yr is def possible.
 
NOPE! :laugh:



That's GREAT news!

I think $1000 to $1500 a year is affordable...but I really prefer not paying more than that for it! 🙄

The trick is to make EVERYONE pay $1000 a year for it...if everyone chips in then 1K a yr is def possible.

LOL! My insurance company has probably spent $100k+ on me all because I attempted an almost physically impossible kick in martial arts class and tore the ACL and meniscus in my knee. 2 surgeries and 4 years of physical therapy later, I'm still not fixed.
 
I think $1000 to $1500 a year is affordable...but I really prefer not paying more than that for it! 🙄

You seem satisfied with your current policy that costs $1000/year.

It really depends on where you work and how much your employer subsidizes your policy. My husband and I pay about $300/month for our family insurance policy, but the actual cost is much higher. The employer pays most of the premium. He works for a large company. Many smaller businesses offer plans with higher premiums or lower levels of coverage to control costs. At previous jobs, I have paid between $150 to $200 per month for single person coverage. I've also worked places that the insurance was free, but the coverage was very poor.

One thing you can be sure of is that no pharmacist is going to qualify for a subsidized premium. That's for low income people, not those who make six figures.
 
LOL! My insurance company has probably spent $100k+ on me all because I attempted an almost physically impossible kick in martial arts class and tore the ACL and meniscus in my knee. 2 surgeries and 4 years of physical therapy later, I'm still not fixed.


Wow that sucks. I am sorry to hear that. Will it ever be fixed?

You seem satisfied with your current policy that costs $1000/year.

It really depends on where you work and how much your employer subsidizes your policy. My husband and I pay about $300/month for our family insurance policy, but the actual cost is much higher. The employer pays most of the premium. He works for a large company. Many smaller businesses offer plans with higher premiums or lower levels of coverage to control costs. At previous jobs, I have paid between $150 to $200 per month for single person coverage. I've also worked places that the insurance was free, but the coverage was very poor.

One thing you can be sure of is that no pharmacist is going to qualify for a subsidized premium. That's for low income people, not those who make six figures.

I guess the only coverage I really need is if I get into a very big accident....like Sparda's for example and need some major work done. Other than that I don't really need it. I am only looking for "just in case" something really bad happens....if not I don't need anything.

I am satisfied with my insurance now I guess mainly b/c I NEVER had a need to use it ever LOL...I wish it would cover my prescription more....LOL...I will be happy if it was generic all $5 copay and brand all $25 copay...but instead it's picky as hell and won't cover tons of drugs and if they do cover it they will pay like a small percentage only! 🙄 Maybe my insurance just sucks at paying for prescription stuff. Who knows.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess the only coverage I really need is if I get into a very big accident....like Sparda's for example and need some major work done. Other than that I don't really need it. I am only looking for "just in case" something really bad happens....if not I don't need anything.

I am satisfied with my insurance now I guess mainly b/c I NEVER had a need to use it ever LOL...I wish it would cover my prescription more....LOL...I will be happy if it was generic all $5 copay and brand all $25 copay...but instead it's picky as hell and won't cover tons of drugs and if they do cover it they will pay like a small percentage only! 🙄 Maybe my insurance just sucks at paying for prescription stuff. Who knows.

So you're never going to have a baby? You know with certainty that you won't get cancer? No, you don't. And that's what insurance is for. To protect you against unexpected large medical bills that could bankrupt you.

And, your insurance isn't picky about drugs. You're just on expensive name brand stuff and hardly any insurance pays for things like Latisse. You should be able to tell what your copays will be by reading the information you were given when you purchased the insurance policy.
 
So you're never going to have a baby? You know with certainty that you won't get cancer? No, you don't. And that's what insurance is for. To protect you against unexpected large medical bills that could bankrupt you.

And, your insurance isn't picky about drugs. You're just on expensive name brand stuff and hardly any insurance pays for things like Latisse. You should be able to tell what your copays will be by reading the information you were given when you purchased the insurance policy.

Ehh, I'd say insurance companies are picky because some of them refuse to cover treatments that they consider unnecessary. Doctor prescribed you Adipex to help you lose some weight, too bad, you gotta pay out of pocket. Have acne and the dermatologist wants to try a different technique, too bad we ain't paying for it. Male pattern alopecia is hitting you and doc prescribes Propecia, nah we ain't covering it.
 
Ehh, I'd say insurance companies are picky because some of them refuse to cover treatments that they consider unnecessary. Doctor prescribed you Adipex to help you lose some weight, too bad, you gotta pay out of pocket. Have acne and the dermatologist wants to try a different technique, too bad we ain't paying for it. Male pattern alopecia is hitting you and doc prescribes Propecia, nah we ain't covering it.

I'm referring specifically to SHC's medications she was complaining about. Tazorac is very expensive and works no better than other, cheaper topical retinoids. Latisse is not medically necessary by anyone's definition. For that matter, neither is Propecia. You want drugs for cosmetic indications? Pay up.
 
So you're never going to have a baby? You know with certainty that you won't get cancer? No, you don't. And that's what insurance is for. To protect you against unexpected large medical bills that could bankrupt you.

And, your insurance isn't picky about drugs. You're just on expensive name brand stuff and hardly any insurance pays for things like Latisse. You should be able to tell what your copays will be by reading the information you were given when you purchased the insurance policy.

Yeah I want a baby...JUST ONE though. lol...Cancer? I hope not...but my grandfather die of Leukemia...knock on wood..

I think insurance company should just make it simplier by saying ALL generic is X copay and ALL brand names is Y copay.

Kinda like Medicaid is all drugs are $3 copay. But you must use generic if it's available.

Why can't the insurance company cover everything and just put a copay on everything? 😕
 
I'm referring specifically to SHC's medications she was complaining about. Tazorac is very expensive and works no better than other, cheaper topical retinoids. Latisse is not medically necessary by anyone's definition. For that matter, neither is Propecia. You want drugs for cosmetic indications? Pay up.

If it was a 55 year old male, then yeah, Propecia I'd say is a cosmetic indication. For a 20 year old male, it should be covered.
 
LOL! My insurance company has probably spent $100k+ on me all because I attempted an almost physically impossible kick in martial arts class and tore the ACL and meniscus in my knee. 2 surgeries and 4 years of physical therapy later, I'm still not fixed.

Aww hell. Never mind. Not worth my energy.
 
Last edited:
Aww hell. Never mind. Not worth my energy.

Yeah, my 50K hospital bill was before insurance. Insurance company probably only paid about $2! :laugh:

I have no idea what the bill for the last baby was. Probably a lot. I don't know that we ever added it all up. For my current pregnancy, I am already close to meeting the out of pocket max already this year, I expect my part to be $0.
 
The only thing I know is that Obama wants to REQUIRE EVERYONE to have health insurance. So everyone will need to have health insurance. I have no idea how much it will cost for me or anything no.

I guess I'll know when I find my first job next year and my employer tells me how much I have to pay for it.
I think this is what's going to shock people. Most people don't realize how expensive health insurance is, especially if you're paying the full cost of it yourself because your employer is not.

The benefits statement from my employer shows for a single person, no spouse, no children:

Company cost: $3,770
My cost: $765
======
$4,535 total cost

That's for the cheapest CDHP with a high deductible and we have a large 250,000 employee group, so my employer is paying 83% of the cost.

So if Obamacare puts these plans on the fancy new insurance exchanges, but the people are paying the full cost themselves because they're self-employed or whatever, I'm pretty sure they are going to balk at paying $400/month.
 
Aww hell. Never mind. Not worth my energy.

It went something like this:

Me: Hey, Sensei watch this kick I'm going to do.
Sensei: Don't try it, you don't have the flexibility for it.
Me: You underestimate my power. *tries kick and as I'm about to fall down, I stick out my leg to break the fall, hyper-extend it, loud crack is heard and then I'm rolling around in agony on the dojo floor.
Sensei: I told you so.
 
I don't need to call, I believe you. Still, that's a really good price. 👍

It must be one of those loss leader things like the $4 list. If that's what they charge for cash, they can't charge insurance any more than that, I don't think.

EDIT: I just checked and our cheapest pack of birth control pills costs us $10.70 (pharmacy cost). So dispensing for $9 cash is probably not making anyone any money. I bet it's a loss leader.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kinda like Medicaid is all drugs are $3 copay. But you must use generic if it's available.

In what state? In my state, there are a lot of drugs, both brand and generic that Medicaid will not pay for. Sure, there is a flat co-pay if you are on the straight Medicaid plan for brands and generics but hat is only for **covered** drugs , I am 99.999999% confident that there is no state that has a Medicaid plan that pays for all drugs with a flat co-pay.

Off the top of my head, common drugs that my state medicaid won't pay for and/or only pay for through a PA process that that has very cut and dried requirements:

any cough medicine
oxycodone ER
any OTC medicine
any "cosmetic" drug--ie Latisse, Tazorec
any weight-loss drug
any brand name where their is generic avaible
phenazopyridium
ADHD drugs in anyone over the age of 18
acne drugs in anyone over the age of 18
any proton-pump inhibitor in anyone over the age of 18

all of these match up with most of the private insurances in the area.
 
In what state? In my state, there are a lot of drugs, both brand and generic that Medicaid will not pay for. Sure, there is a flat co-pay if you are on the straight Medicaid plan for brands and generics but hat is only for **covered** drugs , I am 99.999999% confident that there is no state that has a Medicaid plan that pays for all drugs with a flat co-pay.

Off the top of my head, common drugs that my state medicaid won't pay for and/or only pay for through a PA process that that has very cut and dried requirements:

any cough medicine
oxycodone ER
any OTC medicine
any "cosmetic" drug--ie Latisse, Tazorec
any weight-loss drug
any brand name where their is generic avaible
phenazopyridium
ADHD drugs in anyone over the age of 18
acne drugs in anyone over the age of 18
any proton-pump inhibitor in anyone over the age of 18

all of these match up with most of the private insurances in the area.

Yeah, she's just generalizing. Happens all the time. If her state has that copay for all Medicaid scripts (doubtful), it certainly isn't the same in all 49 other states.

Here, Medicaid copays are either $1 or $3, generally. But there are things that aren't covered, and lots of stuff that requires a PA. They can get OTC stuff though, at least for pediatrics.
 
I have no idea what the bill for the last baby was. Probably a lot. I don't know that we ever added it all up. For my current pregnancy, I am already close to meeting the out of pocket max already this year, I expect my part to be $0.

Labor and delivery normally cost $20k easy... You wanna have fun on a mountain bike and you fall and break something expect to fork ~$5-10k easy in ER. CT/MRI scan ~2k. You have some major surgery just once... $50k. Cancer therapy $100-200k. Bypass surgery 200k.

People who think they can just wing it in USA without health insurance is asking a bankruptcy lottery that happens every 10 years. Ask yourself this... Do you feel lucky?
 
So if Obamacare puts these plans on the fancy new insurance exchanges, but the people are paying the full cost themselves because they're self-employed or whatever, I'm pretty sure they are going to balk at paying $400/month.

You are paying full cost if you make >$100k (not eligible for subsidy), paying a full premium around $1250/mo or $15,000/year for a family with 2 kids. Low income people benefits the most...

I guess it's not so bad for people who have pre-existing medical condition... at least you can get coverage.