Does philosophy count as behavioral/social science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that some DO schools require 2 courses in behavioral/social sciences. I was a history major, but I never took any sociology, psychology, or anthropology courses.

However, I do have 4 philosophy courses on my transcript (originally planned to get a minor in philosophy, but didn't want to take any more courses after the first 4), and I am wondering if they will satisfy this requirement?

My MCAT score is coming out soon, and I am beginning to narrow down my list of DO schools to apply to, mostly based on LOR and prerequisite requirements.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what behavioral or social SCIENCE mean? Christ.

I am aware of the AACOMAS classifications. However, Lake Erie explicitly states on its website that philosophy does qualify as a behavioral/social science.

I think I'll email the admissions committees and ask for a specific answer.

I am aware of the AACOMAS classifications. However, Lake Erie explicitly states on its website that philosophy does qualify as a behavioral/social science.

I think I'll email the admissions committees and ask for a specific answer.
Ugh another reason to hate LECOM.

And speaking of requirements, does "Academic Writing" (that's what the course is offered at) counts as English? The AACOMAS manual lists composition as English. Isn't writing and composition the same thing?

It's a joke, but in all seriousness, it's rather disappointing an institution of higher learning would do that. Philosophy is simply humanities. It never uses the scientific method.

My major (economics) uses the scientific method more than or just as much as any other "social science," and yet still it doesn't count as a social science.