Does prep courses count in the AMCAS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chem20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will like to know if a english as a second language course will count toward the AMCAS application. I am not a native english speaker and I took 18 credits in English as a Second language in a community college; however, when I transfered to the University these credits doesn't tranfered. Therefore, I will like to know if I have to include those or just disregard them since they doesn't even belong to the english department.

Members don't see this ad.

Were they pass/fail courses? I believe, and don't quote me on this, if you received a letter grade for them, then they will counted towards your uGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will like to know if a english as a second language course will count toward the AMCAS application. I am not a native english speaker and I took 18 credits in English as a Second language in a community college; however, when I transfered to the University these credits doesn't tranfered. Therefore, I will like to know if I have to include those or just disregard them since they doesn't even belong to the english department.

The simple answer is that you have to report every grade from every class you have ever taken above the high school level (including community college classes). If there is a record you took them, you have to put it on AMCAS and then send the transcript from that comm college, even if it is not on your university record. You received credit at the comm college for these courses, so that's the bottomline. Classes taken at a comm college will be incorporated into undergrad GPA

i think they would count if they were college courses.

She took it right out of my mouth. Usually, college courses and CLEP credits will and should count towards the AMCAS GPA calculation.