Does program prestige of FM really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be outpatient only. Does it improve marketability? Does it limit certain semi-academic job opportunities? or Concierge practice if one decides to take that route?

I am mainly asking in terms of training at a university vs. community program?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to be outpatient only. Does it improve marketability? Does it limit certain semi-academic job opportunities? or Concierge practice if one decides to take that route?

Generally speaking, not really.

Reactions: 2 users
Nah, not really. If you're applying for a job locally (local to your residency, that is), people may know something about the program you went to (either good or bad). Otherwise, it's pretty much irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you are going to try to go into a fellowship after residency that it could help. But for general practice, it doesn't really matter. There is such a shortage of primary doctors, I don't believe many general practitioners are struggling to find work.

Reactions: 1 user
Somewhat related question: does the competitiveness of the FM program correlate with the amount of inpatient rotations you do, or will most residencies get you to the point where you can follow your patients into the hospital so long as you spend your electives on inpatient/ICU electives?

Not at all. Just finish residency. If you want to take insurance you will need to be board certified for now. (that may change in the future).

If you go concierge/DPC you don't even need that. It will make no difference in you quality of care.

In both situations what makes the difference in your quality of care is reading, reading and staying on top of thing both in residency and as an attending.

Best of luck in your future residency and beyond.

Not at all. Just finish residency. If you want to take insurance you will need to be board certified for now. (that may change in the future).

If you go concierge/DPC you don't even need that. It will make no difference in you quality of care.

In both situations what makes the difference in your quality of care is reading, reading and staying on top of thing both in residency and as an attending.

Best of luck in your future residency and beyond.

Quality of care -- I assume you're not implying that all the BS metrics that get imposed on BC physicians by insurance companies for max reimbursement are in any way connected with true quality of care? yes, I know the guidelines and all that garbage but lately I'm becoming more jaded re: you get more reimbursement for making sure your MA documents that your diabetics have had an A1c in the last 3 months, a foot exam in the last 6, retinal exam in the last year, PVAX/Flu, etc. --- Do those things keep my patients healthy -- probably -- but spending the time to document something so that the bean counters can check the box and pat me on the head and give me another "cookie" drives me nuts -- who the hell are they to determine whether or not I'm taking good care of my patients ---

Quality of care -- I assume you're not implying that all the BS metrics that get imposed on BC physicians by insurance companies for max reimbursement are in any way connected with true quality of care? yes, I know the guidelines and all that garbage but lately I'm becoming more jaded re: you get more reimbursement for making sure your MA documents that your diabetics have had an A1c in the last 3 months, a foot exam in the last 6, retinal exam in the last year, PVAX/Flu, etc. --- Do those things keep my patients healthy -- probably -- but spending the time to document something so that the bean counters can check the box and pat me on the head and give me another "cookie" drives me nuts -- who the hell are they to determine whether or not I'm taking good care of my patients ---

I meant what you just said plus BC itself. Perhaps it has some utility right after residency. A sign of completion. But the MOC system and 10 year re-certs don't really do much for quality. Even the boards don't claim that because there is no scientific evidence that testing makes better doctors. Especially in someone who has been in practice for 10+ years.

So I humbly say get rid of them all and just focus on learning.